Dial numbers printed on the dial plate.

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Roy Horrorlogic, Mar 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I've come across a couple of examples of this previously but it still puzzles me. This ETA 810 movement is imprinted with a set of numbers as if a dial. I can only imagine this is because, during service or repair, someone might want to fit the hands and monitor the timing. But maybe there's another reason.
    Roy

P3010229.JPG

2. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Perhaps for use in an exhibition case? Instead of using a see-through dial the movement could simply be plopped in with its hands. It seems that any gearing which might fall out of the dial side, is held in place by small plates, making this movement a candidate for such use.

Presumably the train side of the movement would also be visible via a windowed case back.

3. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    It's a very modest movement, and bog-standard in configuration, so I'm doubtful that it was ever an exhibition example. I've seen two or three like this (although I don't recall which). Anyone else come across them?
    Roy

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen them. They aren't on every movement that comes past. I believe they were movements that had hands on them without dial for reasons not known to me other than that they may have come as test movements to see how they ran out of the case. They may have been cased up with dials printed with the name of the company requesting the casing along with the rest of the batch. Who knows?

One thing I can add, is that it is likely that most of the winding system has been replaced with new parts.

5. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless of course that the watch itself spent most of it's life as a display?

I have repaired the winding systems of so many old watches. I do know how much they wear with daily usage. Either this watch has little winding and lots of moving about without winding. ie; as a display.

6. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Under-use is not a problem that this one suffers from!
    Roy

7. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was talking about it's past.