Dial for a barometer / open office drawing program

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by dorsetman, Nov 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dorsetman

dorsetman Registered User

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    retired ex Kodak
    Wimborne Minster
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I stupidly used too much wd40 in loosening 100 year old rusted screws resulting in the barometer card dial being damaged beyond repair. Finding a similar replacement seems impossible so I have to make one using Office DRAW. Is there a bank of templates out there somewhere of barometer dials in VECTOR format so that I can expand,shrink, adjust at will without losing image quality. JPEG is no good, it has to be VECTOR type images. CoralDRAW comes to mind. Its the little minute graduations that are hard to recreate. See attached he damaged card. Thanks. Peter
    barodial.36.jpg barodial.36.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You could try:

Barometer World,
    Barn Merton,
    Okehampton,
    EX20 3DS (Tel.: 01805 603443)

They sell reproduction dials for antique barometers and are helpful. You can look at their website too: www.barometerspares.co.uk
    They also repair and restore old barometers.

There is also:

Nationwide Barometers,
    16, New Street,
    Honiton,
    EX14 1EY (Tel.: 01404 47466) email: info@honitonbarometerclinic.co.uk

Even if neither of the above has exactly what you want, they may well be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

JTD

3. dorsetman

dorsetman Registered User

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    retired ex Kodak
    Wimborne Minster
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Apart from JTD (thanks JDT) I was a little surprised how poor the response was so I set out to make my own. I used a combination on scanning and then converting to vector format so that my new dial could be enlarged or reduced in size without any loss of detail. See attached pic. I now wonder if I could make a bob or two for other barometer restoration people? Cheers Peter.
    478728-b6b6bbfdcb9470b9eb64ced8437b3093.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How did you convert from image to vector if I may ask? I have done so with mixed results using several approaches so I am quite interested as your results look a lot better than mine. Nice work by the way!