• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Dial Face obstruction 1171-850

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
This post (see picture) is in the way of the dial face I want to use. It’s connected to a plastic lever. Is this the moon dial and do I need it? Hermle 1171-850. It seems like it is a cam to move the large gear. It seems to have two settings? Can you help me identify what it is and what do the positions change?

D4DFBD19-D70D-4659-B3D8-CCC1D978FEEB.jpeg

Last edited:

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
This post (see picture) is in the way of the dial face I want to use. It’s connected to a plastic lever. Is this the moon dial and do I need it? Hermle 1171-850. It seems like it is a cam to move the large gear. It seems to have two settings? Can you help me identify what it is and what do the positions change?

View attachment 687045
I believe I figured it out. It is the night shut off lever.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Craig,
Yes, that is the auto night shut off.
I think you have two choices.
One is to cut a slot in the dial to allow the lever to move (on/off) if you want the ANSO to work.
The other is to remove the ANSO mechanism from the front of the movement.
The clock should function as it should as a clock without that mechanism.
If you remove the ANSO and want to put it back on later, there may be a problem to set it properly.
Best,
Dick

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
Craig,
Yes, that is the auto night shut off.
I think you have two choices.
One is to cut a slot in the dial to allow the lever to move (on/off) if you want the ANSO to work.
The other is to remove the ANSO mechanism from the front of the movement.
The clock should function as it should as a clock without that mechanism.
If you remove the ANSO and want to put it back on later, there may be a problem to set it properly.
Best,
Dick
Dick, thank you for that. What I have done is remove the post from the ANSO cam that was trying to poke through the dial but left the cam and everything else in place. I can still switch it on or off by going between the dial face and movement with my hand or a pencil. Since it is my first home-built DIY clock, I can accept some idiosyncrasies. I am surprised to find a plastic part on the mechanism.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Hermle has been using a variety of plastic parts in there movements for ~50 years.

BTW, how old is that puppy?

Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like a screw comes out to remove it. I would replace the screw where it is and leave the part with the clock and with a note explaining what it is and where it goes if there is ever a desire to restore it.

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
Thank you everyone. I just removed the pin and now if I want to deactivate the night setting, I just reach in through the side. Thanks again!!

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
I will attach a picture of this night silence lever where it locates through the dial. I have rebuilt several movements like this one with this night silence device. The new movements do not come with the long lever any more. The night silence on the new movements is operated using a push rod that is adjusted from the waist of the clock. However the long lever on the older movements can be fitted to the new movements to operate the night silence (as intended), through the inner section of the dial.

CraigC

Dec 15, 2021
Country
I will attach a picture of this night silence lever where it locates through the dial. I have rebuilt several movements like this one with this night silence device. The new movements do not come with the long lever any more. The night silence on the new movements is operated using a push rod that is adjusted from the waist of the clock. However the long lever on the older movements can be fitted to the new movements to operate the night silence (as intended), through the inner section of the dial.
I am very interested in this, thank you,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-