Dey Time Register

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Here is another of my recent aquisitions-- a Dey Time Register. I've always (for at least 40 years) wanted one of these monstrosities. I spent my career (at least the most remunerative portion of my careers) with IBM. I have accumulated a couple of the ITR (International Time Recorder) clocks, but I have never run across a complete Dey. Dey was one of the companies absorbed by IBM early in the last century. This one is serial # 24732 and it appears that it has been roundly abused during its working life or sometime thereafter. The dial has a ding that I can only attribute to attack by an irate employee—I'm not sure how it could “accidently” happen. The accuating arm was badly bent but I have to believe that occurred as a result of mishandling after it was removed from service.

At any rate, I removed the bronze accuating arm and carefully straightened it in the vice with a deadblow hammer, gave the works a cursory cleaning, and she was off to the races. Inside the case, there was a bundle of recording strips for the drum—I calculate I have enough strips to clock my darling bride, in and out, three shifts a day, for the next year or so. (If I suggested it, I fear she would clock out once, and never be heard from again) As you may see from the pictures, I and my toys, have been relegated to the basement.

This was one clock of 15 that I purchased last month at a local auction—there were 4 clocks that I really wanted, and had to pay the price for, but the remainder were clocks that were too cheap to ignore. As an example, the auctioneer couldn't get a $25 opening bid for a Ridgeway model 130 three weight “grandfather” clock –the auctioneer was ready to holler “burn it” when I raised my hand. (This guy was not kidding – it would have gone in the dumpster out back if no one bid.) Is clock collecting a sickness, or what?? Now this thing is living in my basement running nicely, and it becomes my problem to find a home for this stray.

Ray Rice

Attachments

Reactions: Spaceman Spiff

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice find Ray. I have the same problem when I go to an auction, and the prices seem so low I just can't help putting my hand up.
The only Dial recorder I have is a big ITR 4 door model.

craigclock

Feb 7, 2009
I recently purchased a similar international time recorder made in 1918 but obviously in the Dey style. I have a few questions maybe someone can answer:

1) The selector switch is missing all but one label. Do you have a photo to show what the labels should look like?

2) Type writer ribbon is missing. Spools look to fit 1.3" wide ribbon. Should it be 2 colors? Black and Red? Or all black?

3) I think there was preprinted paper that was inserted onto the drum. Any example of what it might have looked like?​
Thanks

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg IMG_1879_(1024_x_768).jpg IMG_1884_(1024_x_768).jpg

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
The ribbon on mine is solid black, 1 5/16" wide, the recording strip for the drum is 3" wide x 30" long and the entries are "1" thru "150". The selector dial is labeled "In" "out", "in" out" and "in out" for all the selector tabs.

If you PM me with your mailing address I will send you some sample recording strips.
Ray Rice

IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcfly88
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff