Dewey part doo-ey

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, May 10, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    The Spanish American War looms large in American history.

To my understanding, it helped to advance the career of a future president, Teddy Roosevelt, who rode the "rough rider" image up San Juan Hill and ultimately into the White House.

jb_progress_rriders_2_e.jpg

Considering he was a sickly and rather wimpy kid, it also probably served a psychological and compensatory purpose for him as well.

There were other heroes of the war.

The Hero of Manila Bay was Commodore Dewey. He defeated the Spanish Asiatic Fleet and in the process gave the US a foreign empire. That was necessary for any nation that saw itself as a major player on the world scene in the late 19th century.

Dewey's image was used commercially in a number of ways, including on clocks.

See this thread for a Welch "kitchen" clock with The Commodore's image pressed into oak: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?107868-Dewey

The Ingraham Company produced a series of pressed oak "kitchen" clocks called the Commemorative Series which included a Dewey.

A little while ago whilst doing a shop creep in NH on one of my regular picking routes, I was offered the "kitchen" clock posted below. It is the Ingraham Dewey.

The pix speak for themselves. It's really nicely preserved with a nice old finish and it appears to be all original.

For a bit more info, see Tran's "Ingraham" book, page 305, figures 1010, 1012 and 1023.

Once again, much history told by a rather humble American clock.

RM

Attached Files:

2. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice presentation and a nice looking pair of clocks. Thank you.

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment and interest.

RM

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    And, let us not forget the immortal words by Ironquill (Eugene Ware), and I quote:

"O dewey was the morning
    Upon the first of May.
    And Dewey was the Admiral
    Down in Manilla Bay.
    And dewey were the Regent's eyes,
    "Them" orbs of royal blue!
    And do we feel discouraged?
    I Dew not think we Dew."​

5. Stan S

Stan S Registered User

Apr 29, 2013
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clocks, the condition is also great. nice find, I like the battleship and naval motif.

6. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I also like the purported story about " The Great White Fleet " and Roosevelt's wish to send them around the world as a show of strength and Congress denied the funding, Roosevelt sent them any way and they ran out of fuel etc., so Roosevelt told Congress to appropriate the funding to get them back home..............and so they did. At least one good use of Executive Privilege !!
    Bruce

7. Jay C.

Jay C. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Speaking of Teddy Roosevelt, Edmund Morris has written such an interesting three volume biography of him, that I read it twice.

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to all who responded for their interest, kind comments and excellent contributions to this thread.

Bruce Barnes mentions the circumnavigation of the globe by newly constructed US Navy cruisers called the "Great White Fleet" (the ships were painted white) that lasted from 1907-1909. It was ordered by TR. I believe it was called, the "Peace Cruise".

Well, ST made a series of kitchen clocks to commemorate that too! They were the Fleet Series clocks.

See Tran's Seth Thomas book, volume 2, pages 676-677 and the figures therein. According to that source, they were made in 1913 so some years after the cruise was completed.

Also see this Bulletin article: http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1970/articles/1972/161/161_852.pdf . This reference discusses one of the models and also provides some interesting background about the events the clock commemorated.

Unlike the Ingraham and Welch commemorative series clocks, it seems that the only elements of the ST ones specific to the event were the tablet and the label. Otherwise, they were rather plain and in my opinion undistiquished clocks.

RM