Determining age of Seth Thomas Regulator #2

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by timelyrestorations, Mar 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Hi All;

I just picked this one up. Very nice condition, although the movement will need a good cleaning. I understand that ST produced the #2 from 1860 to 1950. Are there clues that would tell me what vintage this piece is? Also, would it have been originally strung with gut? There is currently brass cable on the clock.

Regards,
    Doug

st1.JPG st2.JPG st3.JPG st4.JPG st5.JPG

2. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
  3. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    is there a chart for determining age of the st#1 or identifying the differences between st#1 and st#2 ?

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

i got involved with the #2 identification chart because a #2 was my first mechanical clock and i fell in love with them. years later i had a girlfriend who had a #1 that had been purchased new and been in her family since 1870-ish... since it wasn't mine and never would be i just enjoyed it... but never got into the details of the #1s... sorry!

perhaps a new project for you to know off in your spare time? :cool:

you could also follow this link and see what you come up with: seth thomas regulator no. 1 site:mb.nawcc.org - Google Search

5. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Because of the unmarked movement and the small logo on the repainted dial, I would think that the beat plate is wrong. Another thing to look for is the pendulum bob. It would be useful to see the back of the bob. Seth Thomas Regulator #2's are old and many for sale have been screwed with. Different cases, movements, bob, and beat plates as well as dials.....this is a nice looking clock which most people want hanging in their home.

MQ32shooter likes this.
  6. jere dorough

Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thanks for your reply bruce. i'll study those threads. looks like i'm not the only person with that question. Perhaps we'll never know (sigh) attached is pic of the movement of my plymouth hollow st#1 or st#2

st #1 plymouth hollow.jpg

7. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it is a #2...the early #2's did not have a seconds hand...the #1's did.

8. jere dorough

Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thanks for your reply. I.m sure you're right even though I wanted it to be a st#1. I 've just added a st#1 extra to my bucket list