Depthing tool

SimPivot19

Jul 15, 2019
Country
Hi

I acquired this in a job lot. I believe it is a type of pivot depthing tool, yet it appears a little different. I wondered if anyone has a similar one so I can work out what is missing. It is stamped with a capital “B” in a diamond - maybe a maker mark?

Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks

Simon

79A4E241-77D3-4140-AD54-2BDA570C0FF6.jpeg 947F7E31-C0B7-40BB-B255-56DCA2968B82.jpeg 9FAFC711-BA21-4711-9CFA-36A566149AD2.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi SimPivot19,

I believe it is a type of pivot depthing tool, yet it appears a little different. I wondered if anyone has a similar one so I can work out what is missing.
I agree with Dewey that it's not a depthing tool but probably some sort of spanner; either for lenses or maybe screw backs on watch cases. A depthing tool needs to hold both pivots of each of the arbors under test. You don't give any dimensions, so it could even be an opener for stiff jam-jar lids!

Regards,

Graham

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi SimPivot19,

I believe I've seen a similar tool being used by bomb disposal crews in films about WWII. It was one way of unscrewing the fuse cap from the bomb.

Regards,

Graham

SimPivot19

Jul 15, 2019
Country
Intriguing, perhaps the horologist was an ex-bomb disposal expert - I suppose bombs used to be quite mechanical!

thanks, Graham

SimPivot19

Jul 15, 2019
Country
Your comment also reminded me of an old Alister Simms movie entitled “The Green Man” where he plays an assassin who makes bombs and has a side line in mending clocks, great film.

Simon

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
It is a depthing tool, check out Malcomb Wilde and Penneman's book. It is shown by both. Primarily used in situations like positioning motion works idler during movement construction.
Hope this helps.
tom

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Hi

I acquired this in a job lot. I believe it is a type of pivot depthing tool, yet it appears a little different. I wondered if anyone has a similar one so I can work out what is missing. It is stamped with a capital “B” in a diamond - maybe a maker mark?

Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks

Simon

View attachment 613399 View attachment 613400 View attachment 613401
Simon
If it was used for Horological purposes, the shape of the tip at the end of the photo arrow is typical of what is used to remove a watch case back. I have seen several similar arrangements made from various tools at watch and clock marts over the years.

The second photo shows a variation example and its intended use. Sorry about the cruddy items from the junk drawer for illustration.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_6e4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6e6.jpeg

SimPivot19

Jul 15, 2019
Country
Hi all

thanks for all the replies. I think it was definitely used in horology as the job lot was from an ex-watch/clock maker. It looks like it was used for opening watch backs, but maybe the two slides which are detachable may have been replaced so that it could also be used as a depthing tool using other parts now missing - so maybe there was a bit of clever duality at work here. I think clock and watchmaking is a synonym of ingenuity!

many thanks

Simon

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Simon!

I'm not grasping how yours could be used for depthing, but I can tell you that you can buy similar tools on the Bay, on American Science & Surplus, and even at Harbor Freight Tools, all described as being for watch case opening. The nicety with yours is that thumbscrew for fine-tuning the setting of the one pin. My trouble with these is that sometimes, on case backs, the indents aren't exactly 180º apart.

Because you're only gripping at two, rather than three points, they also have a tendency to slip, risking marring the case back.

Here are a couple pictures of one I bought a long time ago: Ruihua1.jpg Ruihua2.jpg
Note the cylindrical points. They wouldn't accept a pivot, and if you put them into pivot holes, they'd have to be very large pivot holes.

Once, in very early days, I bought a Y-shaped spanner from Harbor Freight ("Salvage" – in those days), and ground the points down with a file, then adjusted them to the spacing I needed and tightened a nut to secure the spacing. Not a very efficient way to do the job, but in those days, I didn't know much about sourcing tools, and (to be honest) didn't care much about boogering up case backs. Here it is: HFS1.jpg HFS2.jpg
Note the incredible precision filing job on the pins!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jr webster
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool