ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
wondering how long pieces can be left sitting in deox--007?

i usually just set the timer on my ultrasonic for it's default... maybe 13 or so minutes? don't remember.

but... would it be a bad thing if i put something in and left it there for an hour while i ran an errand? i know that with ammoniated fluids this would not be a good thing to do.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have left mine in for a hour or so, no problem. If it lacquer on the plates, not sure about that, depending on temp of solution.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I somehow dropped a small pocket knife in my US and it stayed there for months. When discovered, It looked really clean! But the brass looked like swiss cheese ... This solution was either L&R or Timesavers Historic, both ammoniated concentrate 7:1 . Willie

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Deox does not have ammonia, which is one reason why i use it.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
right... i think it's the ammonia that makes longer immersions problematic for brass.

i was thinking of dropping some plates in the deox-007 and grabbing them when i got back from tennis, but chickened out. :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My typical cycle time in the US is 45 minutes. No harm to anything. I also use brass key chain to hold the wheels of each train. Those have been subjected to my ammoniated cleaner hundreds of times, and have no signs of weakening or deteriorating. The only real danger with ammonia is with old movements with hammered brass. Modern movements are pretty dummy proof (which is a good thing for me) :)
If you're not using ammonia, your only real concern is with rust. An hour or two won't cause any real harm. Your US will probably cycle off, so you're just soaking.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
On a few occasions during final assembly I have discovered a part missing and after a long search found it in the ultrasonic. While I would not recommend leaving part in Poly Chem Deox-007 for an extended period, none of the parts appeared to have been damaged. Poly Chem Deox-007 is a good brass cleaner but perhaps not the best degreaser for really crappy parts. I always preclean really filthy parts with a strong automotive degreaser and a brush. Generally, if it isn't clean after 15 minutes in the US you need to take other steps. Sometimes I find it helps to "scrub" plates with Poly Chem Deox-007 and 0000 steel wool, rinse and back in the US for a few more minutes. I would not leave parts in while I go shopping.

RC

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
0000 steel wool
Would this cause "Circular micro scratches" in the plates?

Also, what is considered clean after the ultrasonic bath? Sometimes the trundles are practically impossible to get to easily and sometimes deep pinion teeth are hard to clean.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
My typical cycle time in the US is 45 minutes.
my US only has a 15 minute countdown timer... does yours go a full 45 or hour? or do you run three times?

I always preclean really filthy parts with a strong automotive degreaser and a brush.
yup... started doing that on your recommendation a while back. thx again.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
It can if you use a lot of pressure, but doing it wet reduces that probability. I suggest you give it a try on a dirty scrap movement first. .

Also, what is considered clean after the ultrasonic bath? Sometimes the trundles are practically impossible to get to easily and sometimes deep pinion teeth are hard to clean.
I use a tooth brush to preclean lantern pinions, and yes, they can be difficult to get really clean without disassembling them which causes unnecessary trauma. My experience is that there is almost always some physical removal of crud that resists brushing and the ultrasonic. One has to set one's own criteria for what is "clean". I believe that at the minimum the movement should look clean and the active surfaces of pivots, pivot holes, wheels, pinions, and the like should be free of contamination when viewed under ordinary magnification. Assembled parts that usually are not disassembled except in extreme conditions (main wheel & ratchet wheel, center wheel and slip clutch, lantern pinion trundle sockets, etc.) are assumed to be less than perfect. The US will usually make these more prefect than if it was not used. At some point we have to ask is it going to affect the operation and life of the clock, and how much time are we willing to spend (or how much time is a customer willing to pay for) to get super clean.

RC

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region

I think folks would really be surprised at the results of using an Actual clock cleaning solution rather then some bathtub Gin type of make up. Trundles another hard to get two parts can come out quite clean. Quite often one gets what is actually willing to pay for.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I think folks would really be surprised at the results of using an Actual clock cleaning solution rather then some bathtub Gin type of make up. Trundles another hard to get two parts can come out quite clean. Quite often one gets what is actually willing to pay for.
After all the persuasion, I will give deox-007 a go.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i used ammoniated from when i first got my ultrasonic and only recently switched to the deox-007... which is obviously much less hard on pieces than ammoniated solutions. and, based on the comments above, i would have no problem doing a double dip... whereas leaving pieces in ammoniated solutions too long can sometimes have bad results.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
my US only has a 15 minute countdown timer... does yours go a full 45 or hour? or do you run three times?
Mine is digital, and can be set for any amount of time you want. I never thought to test its upper limit :)

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i looked more closely at my US and it has a 'hold' feature on the timer... just did a run and let it go for 30 minutes... really nice results.

of course, all of the standard 'clean before ultrasonic-ing' caveats still apply.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I really like DEOX-007. It gets brass bright too, not just clean.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swfc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre