• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Dent chronometer pre partnership with Arnold

zharko

Feb 14, 2011
Hello forum,

I am a long standing collector of English pocket watches with an interest in 18th-century items but including Arnold and Dent

Many years ago I bought a gold-cased quarter-repeater from a London seller, simply advertised as a good-quality chronometer. The thing that intrigued me was the signature on the movement, “Ed Dent“, round the click.
It is a beautifully made quarter repeater Duplex with an 18K case hallmarked 1823, which is 7 years before Dent started His partnership with Arnold. According to the pdf on Tom Macintyre’s site Dent did produce a number of watches at this time.

Does anyone have an early Dent (1820s) that I could compare the signature to? It is obviously very different to the signature of the later watches from the 1840s and 50s and I would be keen to establish a modicum of authenticity.

I hope the photos come out and look forward to some opinions.
Best wishes, Ben

1F944535-9C0B-484D-9EBE-59DA1DBBCEAB.jpeg 28E69CF7-703A-4338-ADEF-DDF452029258.jpeg

Reactions: pmwas

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Before Dent was hired by John Rogers Arnold in 1830; he worked for different makers/companies and I am not sure if he would have ben allowed to sign pieces with his own name.

There might signatures under plates that he was involved doing some final finishing.

Remember - most of the watches and clocks were assembled from parts or completely assembled by many individuals and firms who worked around London.

Makers or retailers who signed the pieces probably did little or no work on them besides possibly final finishing, timing, and adjusting before sale.

Later Dent sold Swiss watches

Andy Dervan

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Papawelo655
Encyclopedia Pages