Dennison Pocket Watch

leealp1

Feb 14, 2021
Country
I have a Dennison Pocket Watch, I am trying to find a website, where I can check the Serial No 318273.

It has a mark stamped on the inner case ( looks like a Monarchs Head, see photos ), I was told this is a Duty Mark, used in England about 1890,, and shows that the duty ( Tax on precious metal to be sold in in England ) has been paid.

I am hoping that if I can find out about the watch via the serial no, I will get an idea of the year it was made, and try and get a value on it.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Lee

IMG_2596.jpeg IMG_2607.jpeg IMG_2608.jpeg IMG_2605.jpeg

Last edited:

leealp1

Feb 14, 2021
Country
More Photos of my Dennison Pocket Watch, showing Monarch Stamp on inside of case.

So trying to identify Date of Watch ( if there is a website to check Dennison Serial No's) , and put a value to it.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Lee

IMG_2607.jpeg IMG_2608.jpeg IMG_2605.jpeg IMG_2604.jpeg IMG_2599.jpeg IMG_2606.jpeg IMG_2600.jpeg IMG_2602.jpeg

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Your watch was not made by Dennison. Dennison is the case maker. The movement was made by H Williamson of Coventry, England (trademark S in a 5 pointed star).

Reactions: Dr. Jon

leealp1

Feb 14, 2021
Country
Your watch was not made by Dennison. Dennison is the case maker. The movement was made by H Williamson of Coventry, England (trademark S in a 5 pointed star).

Thanks for that information, how can I put a date to it, if the movement was made by another company, so I can try and put a value to it?

Thanks

Lee

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
A quick search found me this snippet.

Williamson also supplied Thomas Russel and H.Samuels with movements they also founded a factory in Buren in Switzerland in 1898. They fell foul of the law in 1899 by claiming their watches where English warranted when in fact they had been producing the parts in Switzerland at the Buren factories, they then expanded their factories in England to manufacture fully movements to comply with the law, they where eventually bought out by Smiths.

More correctly described here. https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/identification-of-english-pocket-watch.3499/post-24105

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
It is suggested by Priestley that the two digit number below the case number

1614408054755.png

is a year code.

He infers that 21 corresponds to 1917, in which year for the gold filled Moon grade (20 year) cases the serial numbers range from ~620000 to ~650000.

John

Reactions: eri231

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi leealp1,

Just to clarify, your case isn't solid gold but gold filled, a brass plate with a thin layer of gold applied to each side. As such it would not be assayed and hallmarked under the official assay system. The head stamp is therefore not a duty mark, but something added later, possibly by a retailer; this type of mark was specifically not applied to watch cases as part of the formal assay process after 1798 anyway.

Regards,

Graham

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Yes, Graham, I should have made that clear.

Dennison made three grades of this type of case. The cases consisted of three layers. The main middle layer consisted of cupronickel, an alloy of copper that contains nickel and strengthening elements, such as iron and manganese. The copper content typically varies from 60 to 90 percent (wiki). The lowest grade of case (STAR) having a 10 year guarantee - called the rolled-gold case, because only the outer gold skin is 9K gold of .036mm. thickness, the inner surface is simply gold plated. The MOON case, of which this is an example, had both skins of 10K gold 0.072mm. thick. The top grade, with a 25 year guarantee, stamped SUN, used 14K skins of 0.072mm.

Williamson were both retailers and wholesalers, supplying finished machine made movements, in Dennison, silver and gold cases to retailers. I have a similar, lower grade movement (7 jewels), in a Coventry made silver case, that was retailed in South Africa. Many of their similar machine-made movements are marked 'Astral' or 'Coventry Astral'. The 'B' grade in this range had the 15 jewels, as your example. The 'A' grade had 21 jewels. The Astral examples, in contrast, used nickel finished plates, in half plate, three-quarter plate and split three-quarter plate design. I have a record of a very similar split three-quarter plate, ASTRAL 'B' grade movement that was retailed by Sanders in Kensington, serial number #76378, this also supplied in a Dennison Moon case.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fosicalo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff