delorean watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Dave Haynes, Aug 28, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Deeterman: We are not supposed to talk about values here. Advice is free, so here's some:
    $3500 is a pretty steep buy-in for a potential collector's item. With that amount,you could buy a couple or more used Omega Speedmaster Professionals, a nice Rolex GMT,a Patek Phillipe....get my drift? The above mentioned watches all have proven, long lasting value and will appreciate. Mr. Delorean's watch will probably be a quartz watch, at best an ETA based automatic, on par with modern Hamiltons for sale at $250. Since leaving Pontiac, his business ventures have not exactly lit up the world, and I doubt if
    people will rush to buy his watches.

2. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gotta agree with Dave. And add a couple of cents while I am at it! ;)

Genreally, buying for "investment" is a slippery slope unless you a) buy it real cheap or b) buy it for a REAL long term "investment".

But remember, an ETA is not always JUST an ETA, nor is a Valjoux JUST a Valjou. These companies, (hmmm mabye that should not be plural LOL) have an "A" a "B" and a "C" in most of their numeric calibres. That is, some of the 7750's are dolled up plenty with lots of damaskeening and design and ruby jewels. And some 7750's are made with a few plastic parts and very cheap jewels and plain rotors etc. (At least this is what the manufaacturers tell me). So to say that a brand X with a xxxx calibre movement is the same as a Brand A with an xxxx calibre movement may not necessarily be correct. Jeff Hess

------------------
    JEFF H.

3. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Jeff: Absolutely correct.
    My point was that when buying this watch
    or many modern brands, the movement won't be built in a Delorean Factory and be something unique. Same is true with modern Movados,Omegas etc.

I'm also under the impression that (remaining) ebauche makers offer several grades of fit, finish and jewelling according to order size and price.

Some of the Valjoux 7750's are spectacular
    (see Girard Perregaux) others are rattletraps.