Definitions of Various Terms Under Perpetual Calendar, Equation of Time, Mean Time: Brocot

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by prideofmatchingham, Oct 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Would like the forum to enlighten me on various aspects of a perpetual calendar clock along with meaning and valculation of equation of time, meaning and calculation of Mean time.

I also request the forum to enlighten me on what is meant by NM, FQ, FM, LQ, NM on this clock and calculation.

I know it might be a tall order to satisfy these queries on a forum but one can start from basics!

Also, this is a similar clock that sold in Christies. It can be seen here

A French large gilt-brass striking eight day four-glass mantel clock with perpetual calendar and moonphase , ACHILLE BROCOT, PARIS. CIRCA 1880

What do they mean by a 'four year indicator' in their description? IMG_20191012_160757.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greenwich Mean Time - Wikipedia

The equation of time is the correction from solar. Using it you can set your pocket watch from a sun dial.

I don't see the letters you speak of, do you mean the symbols of the Zodiac?

3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The four year cycle refers to leap years.

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    NM, FQ, FM, LQ I think refers to phases of the moon, so new moon, first quarter, full moon and last quarter.

5. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    I think i rather splurged!

Here are those moonphase notations which jmclaugh seems tobhave got correctly.

Now unlessninu derstand each tjing, how do I set my time as per equation of time and mean time at noon?

Screenshot_20191013-195047~2.jpg Screenshot_20191013-195047~2.jpg

6. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is not quite as complicated as yours but similar. Gaius is on the NAWCC facebook group.

7. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't like doing this, but your clock doesn't have an equation of time indicator, that hand is just the age of the moon (which seems redundant with the moon underneath it) also it appears the hand is a few days ahead of the moon.
    Dan

8. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Dan

Thanks for your comment. Wonder why dont you like 'doing this', afterall you are educating me by showing what I am mistaking and where I am erring.

Request you to link some other clock with equation of time and make us understand this. If you try with mathematical equatons, i would be ok.

Also, the clock was not working for 2 days during its transit period. Would that have affected the anomaly you pointed out?

How does this hand work so that we know how to adjust after service.

Thank you for your reply and glad to have made your acquaintance here.

PrideOfMatchingam

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes that pointer goes to 29.5 so that is the lunar date. It obviously has a snap back action though when it gets to 29.5.

You need to look up when the full moon is and then that gives you a lunar date of 15. Work out how many days away that is from the current calendar date and that gives you the offset for the date.

It is full moon tonight so today is 15th lunar day.

10. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:

Your reply woke me up (its 2305 hrs here) and made me run to the drawing room to check lunar day as today is full moon and 15th day, as you pointed out. Here is the picture

IMG_20191013_230002.jpg

Now what else?

Thanks

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It says it is sunday 12 Oct so isn't the calendar a day out? (Although the day and date may click through at different times, so it may be something to do with that)

12. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Perpetual Calendar Clocks were popular starting in the late 1800's around 1875 (check the history for accuracy here). A perpetual Calendar clock automatically indicates the Date, Day, and Month on a calendar dial and it automatically shows 31, 30, 28, and 29 day months without human intervention (keep the clock running and wound).

Sun Dials indicate time by the suns shadow which changes position in the sky throughout the year. The equation of time which was often on the sun dial allowed the observer to correct the indication provided they knew the date and month. Our mechanical clocks and watches indicate Mean Time which is an average of Sun time, Solar time, or Sidereal Time.

I hope I am correct here. Jim

13. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:

Your reply woke me up (its 2305 hrs here) and made me run to the drawing room to check lunar day as today is full moon and 15th day, as you pointed out. Here is the picture

View attachment 552161

Now what else?

Thanks

14. prideofmatchingham

NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    I think date will change 12 hours later!! What happened is whenni got these here, it was in transit for a day and half. When i set the time in my home in second half of 11th, i didnt go second round (1-12 and then 12 to 3PM). Hence date may change at 3 PM i think. (I will keep an eye on it).

But if that were the case, would meantime hand also be a bit before 15? Or the two functions are independent in the movement?