Defiance Zephyr case

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by CentreKeystone, Feb 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CentreKeystone

CentreKeystone Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I picked up for a nominal sum a Defiance chrome 16s pocket watch case. I have attached a picture of the Burlington Route Denver Zephyr on which the engraving was copied. You can see that the details match up perfectly.
    I haven't decided what, if anything, to do with the case...perhaps a Burlington movement?

postcard Burlington Denver Zephyr.jpg Defiance Burlington Zephyr case back.jpg

viclip and musicguy like this.
  2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #2 Kent, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Definitely not! Burlington movements all came in Burlington cases (even the Swiss-made Burlington movements sold in Canada). Although it could be argued that this case would have been a replacement when the original Burlington case wore out, the cased watch displaying a Burlington dial would always be jarring to the eye.

A much better choice would be a mid-to-late 1930s Vanguard. These movements were actually sold new in such cases.

Or, if the case has screw marks that don't match up to a Waltham model 1908 movement, use them to figure out what make/model movement has previously occupied the case and go from there.

1938-1939_MW.jpg 1937-1938_Waltham_Vanguard_MW.jpg

OldSchool1959 and viclip like this.
  3. CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Vangard would be appropriate...thanks. My case, however, is missing the bow.

4. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Oh! Well, sell or trade it for what you can get and move on. Or, use use it to temporarily house a movement that's waiting for a correct case.

5. CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Interesting that the Waltham Vangard sold for less than the Elgin B W Raymond ($43.95 vs $60).

6. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Maybe I'm missing something but I believe he bought the case
    because he liked the engraving of Burlington Route Denver Zephyr.
    I don't think he's thinking about getting rid of it.

Rob

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  7. CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    That is correct. A few years ago I toured the original Pioneer Zephyr on display in Chicago.

I do appreciate the info on the case`s connection with Waltham.

8. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would get a replacement bow, a new crystal and put your movement in it. I don't think the P/W police will come and tell you the movement is incorrect. If this is what you want then go for it. :)

viclip likes this.
  9. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    That would be a tenuous connection. I believe that the movements were cased by Montgomery Ward, not by Waltham. That brings up another thought; check the case's setting lever position before you get a Vanguard movement to put in the case. The late 1930s is when Waltham moved the setting lever to the 56 minute position. The case may, or may not, have a lever slot there.