DeCharme or S. DeCharmes?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by andynj, Aug 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andynj

andynj Registered User

Jul 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Any Decharme(s) experts? I'm looking at 2 pieces - one is signed S. DeCharmes with the dial DECHARMES and the other is just signed Decharme and the dial the same.

Are they both Simon Decharmes - maybe different eras? Or different people altogether. (Both pieces look really nice and from the late 17th early 18th period.)

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi andynj,

Britten's has Simon (or Simone) Decharmes, making watches and clocks, working 1688-1730, had a son, David, working 1692-1740,known to have signed watches with 'Des Charmes London'. Bear in mind that spelling at this time was not an exact science!

If you can show pictures without breaking the rules about current sales or auction items, we'd be interested to see them.

Regards,

Graham

3. andynj

andynj Registered User

Jul 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks - the "S" was at a dealer and just sold (ie I missed it). I found the other one at another dealer but I want to be sure its "Simon".

Don't think I can post pics given the rules.

4. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Andy, I would ask the dealer if it's by Simon Decharmes, and if he says yes then ask for that in writing. Then if you later find out that it's not, you can get your money back. If he say he doesn't know, then that should reduce the price significantly!