• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Dead-beat Escapements - I need to know more

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
My "collecting" has quickly started to focus on American, time-only, weight driven clocks. Having grown up in a home full of "don't sit in that chair !" type antiques, owning a clock that can't keep time is anathema.

I'm doing my own servicing... everything just short of bushing installation. As an ME, I understand gears, clearances, power trains, fits, force vectors, etc, but I continually realize my one blind spot is the dead-beat escapement itself.

I have books that help you recognize these escapements. I have books on Graham and the history of the escapement. I even have Roberts' Precision Pendulum Clocks. What I need is a book that deals more with the technicalities of design, and the realities of servicing these escapements. Can anyone suggest such a book ?

Thanks in advance.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Terwilliger's 'Horolovar 400-Day Clock Repair Guide' is very good, any edition.
Willie X

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
You could try Gazeley's book Clock & Watch Escapements.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You could also search the board here for "lock" "drop" "dead face" and "impulse face".
Also, this post might be helpful.

Last edited:

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
One of the best, simplest explanations of clock escapements is in THIS OLD CLOCK, by David Goodman. It is inexpensive and sold on eBay or Amazon. The book/pamphlet is the class notes Dr. Goodman used in teaching a clock repair course. It is packed with practical knowledge of all sorts.
You will find that most dead beat escapements are fine as they are unless some novice has tried to adjust them. Most clock problems are from wear in the train caused by long use. It is a knee jerk reaction to look at the escapement or drive (springs, etc.) when the limiting problem is most likely wear in the train.
Do not wait too long to expand your knowledge to installing bushings. That will serve you well and eliminate much frustration if you are going to continue repairing clock movements.
Best Regards,
Dick

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Dick -
Thanks for your recommendation and wisdom. I have ordered the book you suggested.

Having chased through all the other possibilities on an elderly E.Howard No5, I have come to the realization that you and the others are correct. It's time to get serious about bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-