• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

De Bruce Anniversary Clock

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Picked this up on the way home from work via Craigslist. Got it for $10, with the understanding that it wasn't working. Small chip in the dome that will hide nicely when rotated to the back. First thing I noticed when I got it home was the suspension spring looked odd. Not straight, but almost braided. Hoping someone can look it up so I can get the proper Horolovar spring. God Bless Chris. Interacted with him exactly once.

Not much out there doing a search for De Bruce. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Duane

IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1222.jpg IMG_1221.jpg

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
The spring looks like it's twisted, not braided. Maybe it will untwist, if it hasn't become set.

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Oh, it's twisted alright. Seems weird that it's so uniformly twisted. I'll need a replacement. I've got one Anniversary clock under my belt prominently running in the living room, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I've run into this on more than one 400-day clock. Apparently someone thinks that "winding the spring" entails giving the pendulum a swing until the suspension spring looks like a corkscrew. Don't waste your time trying to salvage it. Start by replacing the suspension spring and getting it in beat; everything else will become apparent then. It looks like a nice clock in good overall condition. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
It's basically a Kundo. From memory, it should take a 0.0032" spring. Other places to try for suspension springs are TimeSavers, Ronnell, Mile High...confirm that they are Horolovar springs in the usual packaging.

Kurt

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
Looks like plate 1040D, from the portion of the picture. If that is true, it takes a .0023, being a miniature clock.
However, looking at the second picture, it is 1040C, a full size, and takes a .0032

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Really looks allot like a kundo 1379, a miniature. I've used a .0023 and .0024 in these.

Don't think I've seen a Kundo full size of this era that does not have the hole cut in the capital plate just under the center capital. So at a glance it looks to be a miniature.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Oooops, I must have dyslexia!! Should have been 0.0023"! :chuckling: Didn't see that is was not a full-size clock.

Kurt

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Under magnification I could verify that the spring was distorted due to "winding" by the owner. I removed it and twisted it in the opposite direction mainly to get an more accurate measurement of the hole to hole length for the new, inbound spring.