DAVOS Art Deco Grandfather Clock. I just purchased this Westminster Chime GF clock but can find no identification on the movement.

Roderick2002

Jun 13, 2021
Country
Does anyone know anything about the DAVOS clock? I know the town is in Switzerland but think the works may be G Becker, since they made very similar clocks in the early 1930s that had the same look. The back of the movement only shows Serial Number 399212 and has a French Patent, SGDG. I was hoping someone would recognize the Makers Mark, looks like a tall clock with three bells on top.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have looked at all the resources I have and I cannot find the logo on your clock. The name DAVOS was registered to Orfina Uhren AG in Switzerland in 1954 (by mikrolisk) but as far as I know the Orfina dealt with watches, not large clocks. However, that needs to be verified.

As to the date of your clock, I agree it looks art deco, but I suppose it could be later (in which case the Orfina registration might fit) but again that is only a thought on my part.

Could we see the back of the movement?

Sorry not to be of more help.

JTD

Reactions: Roderick2002

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Your clock is a (French) Vedette. Based on the rod block, it is definitely a Vedette. The diamond shaped movement stabilizers are also Vedette’s style. Finally, the movement is definitely a Vedette.

Vedette was a prominent French maker. They are different from their competitors, ODO, Jura, FFR, Girod, because Vedette is from the Vosgues region. The others were from the Morbier/Jura region. You can noticed a major difference between this maker and those makers in craftsmanship, movement build, and parts. Vedette also lasted quite long before they amalgamated with ODO in 2003.

You have a very nice clock whether you are just fixing or owning. Definitely worth keeping around due to their notable chimes.

I will attach a part of the catalog containing this movement. It is a PW movement. This is from the Vedette catalog 1938-39.
971C6CD7-C160-4E7C-ACDB-5DDB8D7B5550.jpeg
BTW, the logo looks like something Vedette would have used.
76F438A6-114A-4C4F-A042-950A34BAF030.jpeg
The case on your clock is beautiful BTW. Again, enjoy the clock whether it’s yours or someone else’s.

Last edited:

Roderick2002

Jun 13, 2021
Country
Your clock is a (French) Vedette. Based on the rod block, it is definitely a Vedette. The diamond shaped movement stabilizers are also Vedette’s style. Finally, the movement is definitely a Vedette.

Vedette was a prominent French maker. They are different from their competitors, ODO, Jura, FFR, Girod, because Vedette is from the Vosgues region. The others were from the Morbier/Jura region. You can noticed a major difference between this maker and those makers in craftsmanship, movement build, and parts. Vedette also lasted quite long before they amalgamated with ODO in 2003.

You have a very nice clock whether you are just fixing or owning. Definitely worth keeping around due to their notable chimes.

I will attach a part of the catalog containing this movement. It is a PW movement. This is from the Vedette catalog 1938-39.
View attachment 658925
BTW, the logo looks like something Vedette would have used.
View attachment 658926
The case on your clock is beautiful BTW. Again, enjoy the clock whether it’s yours or someone else’s.
Thank you so very much. You seem to have nailed it. Yes, the case is gorgeous and it is running great, except for the hourly gong. It counts all the quarters correctly but, for some reason, the count for the hour gets hung up. I am not an expert level clockmaker, just basically a collector. Working to figure it out, but may be beyond my knowledge. Any ideas?

Again, I am so grateful you responded. Most all of my collection is German (Becker or Linzkirche0 or American, so I know little about the beautiful French clocks. Thank you!

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Most all of my collection is German (Becker or Linzkirche0 or American, so I know little about the beautiful French clocks. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum.

We love to see all kinds of clocks.

Feel free to show your Lenzkirch clock(s) on this thread:

Post your Lenzkirch clocks here. | NAWCC Forums

and your Becker clock(s) on this thread:

Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here | NAWCC Forums

You may be able to find the appropriate thread for your American clocks by looking here:

Post Your (Maker's Name) Clocks | NAWCC Forums

Regards.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Thank you so very much. You seem to have nailed it. Yes, the case is gorgeous and it is running great, except for the hourly gong. It counts all the quarters correctly but, for some reason, the count for the hour gets hung up. I am not an expert level clockmaker, just basically a collector. Working to figure it out, but may be beyond my knowledge. Any ideas?

Again, I am so grateful you responded. Most all of my collection is German (Becker or Linzkirche0 or American, so I know little about the beautiful French clocks. Thank you!
You are very welcome. As far as the repair issues go, it looks like the movement needs a cleaning. Have you done that yet? Check the rack and snail alignment as well as the gathering pallet. It may be better to post a separate thread in the repair forum on this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtc52
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller