david dutton flat bevel ogee

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by fume happy, May 14, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, while at the local flea market, my finely tuned eye picked out an ogee case in despair about 10 tables down from where my wife was currently browsing.
    Upon closer inspection, i find it is a david dutton with 85% of the label. However it is just the case, It is missing a door, movement, etc. Something strange i noted was that the thin veneer edge banding around the front goes vertical, as opposed to the traditional ogee horizontal. would anybody be able to supply a picture of such a clock so i know if the banding is original, and what style of door to look for?
    Thanks!

~Fumey

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David Dutton is listed in The American Clock, by Distin and Bishop, as making wood movement clocks in Mount Vernon N.H., 1820-1830. They list a picture not of and ogee style but of an Mirror shelf clock. If your's is in a truly Ogee style case, then the name for that style is Bevel.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

3. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the dates, Larry!
    I was wondering what years Dutton was in business.
    Anyways, here's some photos of my wreck. I used some parafin oil on the edge banding to make it stand out. You can see how the grain goes different then usual ogee edge veneering.
    in addition to the other obvious problems, someone was tactful enough to secure the label with a layer of clear packing tape!!!
    any ideas how to remove that?
    thanks!
    ~Fumey
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fume, I think you are stuck (no pun intended) with that horrible tape job. As the tape yellows and deteriorates, it will only get worse. If you try to remove it you likely will destroy the label:?|

5. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could take a high quality digital photo of the label, or scan it if you plan on separating the backboard from the case for restoration. Then you can print a copy and tack it over the taped label or have it available for when the original deteriorates.

I wouldn't be surprised if a paper conservator could get the tape off using a solvent for the tape glue that wouldn't affect the paper. It would, however, make the paper very fragile and would probably have to be done under laboratory conditions--very expensive!

Jeremy

6. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Fumey;

I like the digital phot of the label idea. I've had good luck with this technique

Paul

7. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh, Paul, this reminds me. I got the Samuel Terry the other day. It's all falling apart, unfortunately (bad packing job), but I will be able to get you a full size label photo w/o the runners (these have come out of the case).