• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Dating plain brass 10 inch dial

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I just purchased an English clock movement as a restoration project, which is being shipped to me. It's a 30 hour single hand plain brass dial movement (no spandrels). No minute outer chapter ring. Quarter hour inner chapter ring. Hand is either not original or has been seriously modified/repaired.
The seller said the dial is 10" wide.
I have another 30 hour movement from the same family of makers (Hedge in Colchester) whose plain brass dial is 11".
Is there a general rule of thumb to determine which decade in the eighteenth century a 10" or an 11" dial would originate in, in the country (i.e. Colchester)? I've looked in Mason's book on Colchester clockmakers, and in Barder's book on country grandfather clocks, and can't easily find information on when one would expect to see a 10" dial on such a clock.
Thanks for your insight.
Robert

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I wonder whether pictures might help us in answering your query.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
This is the only photo I have.

nath hedge dial.jpg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
In refreshing myself with Mason's book, I concluded that my new clock movement acquisition is by Nathaniel Hedge 4, who signed "Nath(l) Hedge" to differentiate himself from his father's firm (Nathaniel Hedge 3) who signed simply "Hedge", following NH4 starting his own business in 1765, in Colchester.

I have to assume the seller got the measurement wrong, and that this recently acquired movement is really an 11", which would match the 11" "Hedge" 30 hour movement I already own. It probably dates from 1765-1780.

The Hedges were known to produce a great number of these "cottage" clocks (11" plain brass dial, one or two hands, birdcage movement), which according to Mason featured well-made sound movements, made in their own small factory.

Anyway, the Nathaniel Hedge 4 one-hand movement will look quite nice, once restored, displayed beside his father's 2-hand movement in my collection.

Robert

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Afaik by the start of the 18th C the typical dial size was 12" but the earlier sizes of 10 and 11" were no doubt still used thereafter especially on provincial longcases.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Afaik by the start of the 18th C the typical dial size was 12" but the earlier sizes of 10 and 11" were no doubt still used thereafter especially on provincial longcases.
Thanks Jonathan. Yes, in flipping through Barder's book I was reminded that older clocks (late 17th early 18th) had smaller dials, and as you say later ones generally get larger (12-13"). In the latter 18th, Hedge was supplying these modest 30 hour single or double-handed clocks to cottages and farms around Colchester, and I suppose that having smaller dials would be a way of keeping costs down.
Regards.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
10" is pretty common for thirty hours in the brass dial period, and smaller too. As the only hole needed in the dial is for the hand(s) then there were not the limitations that winding arbours could bring so smaller dialled longcase are found too, I have a 9" longcase and another as a hooded clock that would once have been a longcase. I've seen hooded and hook and spike down to 5".

Reactions: rstl99

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenvu01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-