• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Dating a Jerome & Co. Ogee

Pete Riegel

Deceased
Sep 6, 2000
I also have a Jerome & Co. ogee with Benham, printer. I think of it as early 1850's. With Jerome being involved in many different companies it may be that the particular Jerome company is a better clue than the Benham.

Pete Riegel

Deceased
Sep 6, 2000
The label on my clock says

JEROME & CO., NEW HAVEN, CONN.

also,

BENHAM, Printer,
Globe Building
cor. Church & Chapel Sts, N. Haven

No markings on movement or case

Pete Riegel

Deceased
Sep 6, 2000
Here are photos of my ogee and its movement. The bottom glass is a replacement. Everything else appears original.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
Jerome & Co is generally regarded as a trade name used by the New Haven Clock Co. The Benham label, with that address, post-dates the bankruptcy of the Jerome Manufacturing Co in 1856. For an excellent summary of Chauncey Jerome's career, see Chris Bailey's From Rags to Riches to Rags (NAWCC Bull. Supplement #15, Spring, 1986).

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
My C.JOgee has a signed movement and mitred corners on case.
The label printer is F.C Guitierrez, 75 Fulton Street, Ny.
Any idea as to age of clock or the printer.

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
I'd be very interested in seeing images of your Gutierrez-labeled Jerome clock. Does the label state that the clock was made in New Haven or Bristol? Likewise with the movement (New Haven or Bristol?) Gutierrez appears to have printed the earliest New Haven clock labels for Jerome, and he may have printed Bristol clock labels (but I have yet to see one with his name on it). If your clock has a Bristol movement with a New Haven label, it probably dates to 1844.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Jerome collector.Label says on it made in New Haven.Movement is maked as C Jerome.
Can i send pictures to your email adress?
I looked for info on this printer and i think he was the first printer at the New Haven location.

Robert Gary

NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Jerome Collector:

Where on the label does the name of the label maker normally appear? The bottom right corner of my label is missing. I cannot find a printer name anywhere, although the label is rather dark.

Mine also is "Jerome & Co., New Haven, Conn." with mitered corners. I believe all of mine except one weight and the dust covers on the top is original.

RobertG

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
RobertG:
Typically the printer's line is bottom center, but printers didn't always put it on. I don't know if they forgot to include it, but it's frustrating when it's not there.

Robert Gary

NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Jerome Collector:

Nope, no printer's name on mine.

RobertG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members