dating a gilbert crystal regulator

pahel

Jul 26, 2008
Country
hi everybody,
could anyone help me to date this Gilbert four glass clock ? It has a combined bell/spiral-gong 8-day movement (means it strikes on a bell for the 1/2 and on a gong for the full hours).
Coming from french regulator clocks, I don't now much about the american types. Also I'm not shure, if that (faux) mercury pendulum is original to this clock..
Any help and information would be appreceated.
thanks in advance
pahel

Attachments

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Pahel, your clock was pictured in the 1913 Gilbert catalog. It was named "Valerie", if the height is 9 3/4". There was a similar case named "Vista", slightly larger at 10 3/4" in height.

Your clock looks all original from the photo. The "Valerie" cost $27.25 when new in 1913. So, not inexpensive.

The same case was used by other American clock manufacturers, such as Ansonia, and Boston Clock Co.

pahel

Jul 26, 2008
Country
Pahel, your clock was pictured in the 1913 Gilbert catalog. It was named "Valerie", if the height is 9 3/4". There was a similar case named "Vista", slightly larger at 10 3/4" in height.

Your clock looks all original from the photo. The "Valerie" cost $27.25 when new in 1913. So, not inexpensive.

The same case was used by other American clock manufacturers, such as Ansonia, and Boston Clock Co.
Many thanks for these detailed informations on my clock, in particular the former price -or better: price development througt the times- was surprising to me. In fact it's heigth is 9 3/4", so from now on I'll call it "Valerie" (wich is the fist clock in my collection with a specific name).
thanks again
pahel

pahel

Jul 26, 2008
Country
Since there is so much more information on antique clocks to get in this excellent forum, allow me to ask, if there' s anything special (i.e. "name" ,date of fabrication or original price) to tell about the second american four glass clock of my collection. It's a Seth Thomas, about 25cm in heigth.

thanks in advance
pahel

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I would hazard a guess that it is an Empire No. 0, ca. 1913. I base this on Tran Duy Ly's Seth Thomas book, 3d ed., vol. 1.

pahel

Jul 26, 2008
Country
I would hazard a guess that it is an Empire No. 0, ca. 1913. I base this on Tran Duy Ly's Seth Thomas book, 3d ed., vol. 1.
thanks for answering, comparing it to another Empire #0, displayed in the web, that identification appears to be right. with that search, I' ve noticed, that this one originally was gold plated. If so, there's nothing left of it on my clock, just polished brass - exept a possible (:???:) gilding of the chapter ring.
anyhow,
thanks for your statements
cheers
pahel

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Pahel, I think some of them came in polished bronze rather than gold finish. Perhaps your finish is original? I can't tell for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre