Dating a French Lyre

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
So I've been tinkering away with this H&H French Lyre --- which is super finicky about when it will run and when it won't-especially if the slightest out of beat --- I'm wondering if all of them are this picky --- and if anyone has any information about how old this clock really is. It is gorgeous, but high maintenance! attachment.jpg

Attachments

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
A lovely clock, I've never had one so can't comment on how finicky they are though many French pendulum movements are in terms of setting them in-beat. The external gridiron pendulum hung from the top is an usual configuration, presumably it is deadbeat and knife edge suspension? Some pics of it might be of interest as you don't often see them. H&H are well known and imported and retailed many different types of clocks.

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Great --- never knew that -- Thanks Ralph and others! It is a knife edge suspension -- and, the good news, it ran all night! The gridiron pendulum has lots of potentials for things to go askew -- the parallelism of the top knife to the top of the grid to the bottom of the grid, to the ring of brilliants -- all of them needed to be adjusted here and there to get everything straight ---- on top of that, the entire clock seems to list to the right, which made the ring dance too far to the right, and not nearly far enough to the left around the center can. Not easy. I'm not sure whether it's a french lyre or a french liar!

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Interesting sound coming from the lyre clock --- sounds like a very quiet "clunk" --- every forth or fifth beat. There isn't anything hitting ---- almost like the mainspring is letting go sporadically, but it is a new spring and well-lubricated -- anyone ever heard of this? It's quiet enough that you have to listen for it, but it is a definite thud from someplace in the movement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
36Colors
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre