Date these two New Haven 30 hour movements

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Rockin Ronnie, Jun 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am attempting to date these two movements but cannot find online information. Both are spring driven. The one with solid motion works gears is from a small Ogee which I presume to be the older of the two and the other is from a Gothic Steeple. I am assuming this movement design had a fairly long run.

Ron

RS New Haven movement (9).jpg RS New Haven.jpg RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_9.jpg RS UK Ogee clock (1).jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    To begin with, I'm not sure when this basic movement was first used by New Haven, certainly in the 1860's, perhaps earlier. As you say, it was used for many years. Movements with an escape wheel bridge style as pictured below can be dated to before 1870. I call it the "head and shoulders" style, though I've seen other names. Note the solid motion work gears. This picture is from Tran and is said to be from a 30-hour Column clock. There is an 1878 catalogue illustration in Tran, but the clock may have been offered a number of years earlier. The photo of the clock from which the movement was taken does not exactly match the catalogue illustration.

Tran Column Movement.JPG

Around 1870 (exact year uncertain), a different style of escape wheel bridge (tapered) was introduced, as below. Note the motion gears are not solid. This is from a clock called the OB, shown in Tran from the 1881 catalogue.

O.B. Mvmt Front.JPG

Of course, at some point there was a likely an overlap, i.e., movements with both styles of escape wheel bridges existing side by side.

Do you have labels in the clocks? Sometimes they can be of use in narrowing down a fate range.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  3. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The steeple clock has a tapered bridge. The label in the steeple clock is attached. There is an over-pasted blue label (behind the bob) that says "Thomas D. Spike, Clockmaker and Jeweller, 21 Buckingham St Halifax" (Nova Scotia, Canada) who I presume was the retailer. Spike was in business from the mid-1860s to at least 1892.

Unfortunately, the label for the Ogee is long. It also has a tapered bridge.

Ron

RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_1.jpg RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_2.jpg

4. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Should have included Ogee movement with the front plate on.
    Ron

RS UK Ogee clock (2).jpg

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I looked through my admittedly few pictures of this movement with the head and shoulders escape wheel bridge, I noted that they all had solid motion work gears. (There is actually another such on p. 301 of Tran's NH book, fig. 1191. That your OG has solid motion work gears in a movement with a tapered escape wheel bridge might indicate that this is an early example of the movement with a tapered bridge, perhaps early to mid 1870's. Just a guess though.

The sharp gothic (steeple) I would date to the 1880's, on the basis of the label style seen on other clocks from that period (one is shown below, from a Gem Cottage). However, the sharp gothic style was offered into the early 2oth century.
    Gem Cottage 1885 Label.JPG

6. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven. Excellent information.

Ron