Databases - what do you use

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Britannicus, Mar 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JesseEads

JesseEads Registered User

Mar 9, 2017
    Programmer
    Thompsons Station TN
    Country Flag:
    Shouts to who ever said they work for HP. I'm HPE myself transitioning to DXC come April 1st.

Any-who, 17+ years developer here with plenty of client/server 3 tier application development.

I would suggest starting small with a client interface written in C sharp (Visual Studio 2015) with a LOCAL SQL Server 2016 Express database (which is FREE up to 10GB).

Once defined and up and running it can be ported to any web server to host the db. Possibly even a merge tool to update monthly changes to the db, app detect for new db changes and auto download/update, etc.

Just send me a pm if anyone is interested. I can work on this on the side.

Regards,
    jesse

2. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #52 Omexa, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19150-01/820-2707-12/tucani-overview.html Hi, I know that you are interested in servers; my old ML350 5 Server started giving trouble so I gave it to my mate for him to sort it out with the words ”Here it’s yours”. I just purchased a New still in the box Sunfire X4450 that had been sitting in a warehouse for years for AU$690.00. It has 4x6-Core Intel Xeon 7460 processors, 24gb (12x2gb) pc2-5300 ecc fully buffered ddr2 dimms, 4x 146gb 10k rpm 2.5 `sas hard disk drives. I know that it is an overkill for what I will be using it for and at US$25,445.00 when new in 2008, was just a bit out of my price bracket. I will use some sort of Data Base to put all my Pocket Watches and movements on it. The red Dots show the one that I purchased. Regards Ray Capture.PNG

3. JesseEads

JesseEads Registered User

Mar 9, 2017
    Programmer
    Thompsons Station TN
    Country Flag:
    Nice server specs!

4. Britannicus

Britannicus Registered User

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Same here Jesse - day one for us on DXC is April 3 - Was EDS working on HPC as part of Workload and Cloud un the UK.

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great stuff for OpenOffice - :)

6. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi John, my new Computer comes I think with Solaris 8 which I will update to Solaris 10 or 11; if I don't like it I have a Legal Copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 and I will install that on the Computer. Any help with Solaris operating Systems would be appreciated. Will open Office install on Solaris? Regards Ray

7. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Ray - no experience of Solaris but it should work, see here -> http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup_guide/ooo_install.html

John

8. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi, the New Computer should arrive by the 13th; I did not realize how heavy it is 28KG in box. A strange thing has happened, the Computer that I built up from parts (AMD A8-3850 APU quad core 2.9 GHz; for the Techies on the forum) that were lying around from previous repairs (when I did repairs) is refusing to have any problems; it is almost like it knows it is being replaced and seems to have anthropomorphic properties. When I get the new Computer I will set up my Database. Regards Ray

9. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #59 Omexa, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Hi, my new Computer Sunfire x4450 finally arrived on the 20th it was 37KG in the box and the Delivery man carried it up the stairs on his own. I have discarded the Solaris Operating System and installed Open Suse Leap 42.2 on it. I had a devil of a job working out the Raid and the Bios but in a couple of Weeks I will fully understand it. Now to work out how to sort out the Database for my Pocket Watches and movements. It is a bit noisy with 12 Fans but I will sort that out. There was a bit of a bonus when I unpacked the sealed Box; it had 6 146GB Hard Drives and 32GB ram instead as advertised 4 Hard Drives and 24GB of Ram. My luck is still running Graham. Regards Ray View attachment 341117