Daniel Pratt Jr.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by TandMe, Jan 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TandMe

TandMe Registered User

Dec 31, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Hello,
    Our Daniel Pratt half pillar and scroll hadn't been working in quite some time but I just, by the process of elimination, got it working. The one thing it still does is, every once in a while the count lever will not drop down into the slot on the count wheel. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for to correct that. I have done a lot of work on all our clocks, some successful some not. The levers always give me trouble. Could it just be a friction thing, maybe something rubbing? I know it's tough to say without seeing but I'm sure someone could head me in the right direction!! Thanks to all. Tom

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you may be a tooth off in the set up of the strike train. If the hoop wheel lever drops either a bit early or a bit late you can have a run away strike incident. Given the irregularities of wooden wheeled trains it is possible to work correctly part or much of the time of the time, and still miss on occasion. Some strike trains have a bevel on a pinion tooth as well as a mark on the mating wheel showing where they should be meshed, but many do not. On those with no marks I usually set the train to drop the lift lever on the hoop wheel to drop as close to the fall off of the hammer lever as possible, but these trains are not always PRECISE on that point on every pin of the hammer lift wheel, so a bit of testing is advised.

3. TandMe

TandMe Registered User

Dec 31, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Jim, Thanks. I guess I have to be looking at the movement to really understand what you meant. Can't say I am familiar with the name "hoop wheel", is it also called something else? I'll have to take the movement out of the case again and see if I can understand what you mean. Thanks

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hoop wheel is an old English clock description. But, what it is would be the wheel that lifts and drops the count wheel finger It needs to drop the finger pretty much in the center of the slots in the count wheel. When the lever drops it will also cause the strike train to lock by the pin on the warning wheel. The relationship to the hammer lift drop, the count wheel finger drop, and the locking of the train are the elements that need to be properly timed. The strike train needs to "start" when the movement goes to warning, rotating just a bit but not enough that the hammer starts to lift. When the lift lever drops off the pin on the minute shaft the clock will then strike until the count wheel finger drops into another slot. Harder to describe than it is to do.....

5. TandMe

TandMe Registered User

Dec 31, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Jim, I think I may have fixed it. I kept advancing the clock and had it strike, watching how the levers etc. reacted. The problem always seem to be when it was striking at 12. The clock would strike 1 extra time moving the count wheel finger forward so when it came around to strike
    1 it was a bit forward in the slot and hence could not drop down into the next slot. I took the weight off, removed the wire that holds the count wheel and rotated the count wheel to the left one tooth, which put the finger closer to the beginning of the slot. I again advance the hands so it would strike at every slot 1-12 and it hasn't messed up yet. Fingers crossed!! I guess now I just have to let it run and hope that did the trick. Your first suggestion, "you may be a tooth off...." seems to be correct. So simple yet so frustrating, for someone like me anyway. Thanks for all the help. Tom