• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Daniel M. Weiss, RIP

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I was deeply saddened today when thumbing through the latest Bulletin and saw the name Daniel M. Weiss in the Obituary section. I was not aware that Dan had passed. An internet search turned up that he had passed on August 22, 2020 at the age of 104. I have many fond memories of Dan, including his visit to the West Coast for the Pasadena National several years ago. Rest in peace, my friend.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Very sorry to hear as well.

Best wishes to his surviving family and friends.

Rob

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I had him in my thoughts a week or so ago wondering how he was faring in these times.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
RIP Dan. You will be missed. My condolences to his family.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I just noticed the announcement this morning, and jumped on here to see if anyone else had seen it. Very sad, but what a life! He was going downhill pretty quickly after his confinement to a wheel chair. I hope the end was easy. He will be missed.

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
I also will miss Dan here on the message board and so hope that a family member or close friend will step in and care for his beloved cat.
Dan truly loved his animals.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
He was dweiss17 on the Message Board? If so, I've enjoyed his posts very much. He seemed like a very nice gentleman. I wish him well in his journey beyond time.

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
I haven't been on the message board in quite a few years, but checked occasionally about Dan. I am so sorry to read that he has passed on. I thought if anyone made lemon aide out of lemons, he did. In spite of his speech impediment and dropping out of school, he had a good job suited to him and educated himself through life and experience. He loved the clock and watch world and NAWCC and did so much for them. Rest in peace Dan, you earned it, and you will be missed.

Chronos Kairos

NAWCC Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pennsylvania
Country
So sad to hear this. I called him in April to check up on him and he shared a few things, particularly about his memories of the NAWCC. His companion cat, Johnie #2, was 9 at the time. His parting quote to me was: "Any one who takes care of a cat or dog, they (become) the pet." Here is a shot of him in April of 2018. He was a faithful NAWCC member until the end.

Dan Weiss 4.18.jpg

Reactions: PatH

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
I never met Dan, but he and I traded a few emails in 2006, and Dan sold me the 14k Hamilton 922 shown below at that time. Dan was quite a character. I am glad I have a memento by which to remember him.

IMG_8200_edited.JPG IMG_8151.JPG IMG_8150_edited.JPG IMG_9855.JPG IMG_9853.JPG IMG_9857.JPG IMG_9858.JPG

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I was shocked to read about Dan, funny how there was no mention of his death until now after over 50 years in the NAWCC. I had a few conversations on line with Dan and will miss his cat stories.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Perhaps some of us from the forum who knew Dan or had interactions with him can collaborate and write an obituary to be published in an upcoming Bulletin.

Frank

Chronos Kairos

NAWCC Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pennsylvania
Country
He used to faithfully put out an NAWCC clock/cat calendar every year and offer it to the Museum Gift Shop to sell. I think they still somewhere have an inventory of the back issues he printed. He was one of, if not the, progenitor of the Old Timers Award. He also was the first member to sponsor his pet, Johnie, as a NAWCC member.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Perhaps some of us from the forum who knew Dan or had interactions with him can collaborate and write an obituary to be published in an upcoming Bulletin.

Frank
Frank,
Great idea. Someone in Chapter 190 wrote a nice piece about him - perhaps that could be a starting point?

Dave Coatsworth do you know if the Chapter will be submitting an obituary to the Bulletin?

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
A photo of a younger Dan and I at the National in York maybe 10(?) years ago. Dan was in his mid-90's at the time and made the drive from Philadelphia. We had a great time hanging out with our good mutual friend, the late Frank Menez.

NationalTable1.jpg

Reactions: Rhett Lucke

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Frank,
Great idea. Someone in Chapter 190 wrote a nice piece about him - perhaps that could be a starting point?

Dave Coatsworth do you know if the Chapter will be submitting an obituary to the Bulletin?
Let me see what I can pull together in the next few days. As far as I know, no one else is submitting an obituary.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Swann jr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.