• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

D. Perret Locle 18K Hunter Case Watch, detached lever 13J, extremely detailed etched silver dial. Can't identify.

Albert58S

Jan 21, 2021
Country
I have a fairly large pocket watch collection that I'm thinking about start selling off. I know what most of them are by brands, movements, year of production, etc. I always knew I had one that was a very special and never researched it much after acquiring it over 8 years ago as part of a collection from a friend I'd known for over 25 years. (It was in his late dad's collection)
From my research for Perret watches, there is no D. Perret listed. A watchmaker I showed it to thought the "D" could be possibly a son or relative to one of the Perret's who are listed in the watch books. The movement is not marked so it is Swiss movement. It also has the original old box and the key. I suspect the watch's age is 1850's to 1870's. The case has a low serial number of 7025 (18K stamp is near this number), which is also on the front and back covers. 7025 is also on the dust cover. On the back case, there is also an addition serial number 5489 above the case makers mark of something like A H & C. There is also a small hallmark stamp shaped like a "one way sign" except has 2 "V"s in the center, and the outside (ends) of the arrow form a crown. The finely detailed etched dial has buildings, trees, even a sailboat, and the watchmaker thought it was possible the dial was silver. This watch has one of the finest nicest dials I have ever seen.
Any help in identifying more about this watch would be appreciated, such as who is D. Perret, the maker of the case, approximate production year, and especially why the dial is so special like it was a presentation piece. I can attach pictures upon request.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Welcome to his forum.

Pictures will help a lot.

The V's you refer to are probably the Nechatel hall mark for gold.

We do not allow links to active sales and your post is on the edge of that. Assuming that s not currently for sale we can give you more information from pictures. If you do decide to sell it please notify me by private message so I can quarantine the thread until after the sale.

My book, Pritchard's Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 has a David Perret of Neuchatel, actually two of them, father and son. The firm started in 1854. They were fairly prominent. The father's obit is in Journal Suisse d'Hologerie Vol XXXIII No.4 Oct 1908 p 116

Albert58S

Jan 21, 2021
Country
Welcome to his forum.

Pictures will help a lot.

The V's you refer to are probably the Nechatel hall mark for gold.

We do not allow links to active sales and your post is on the edge of that. Assuming that s not currently for sale we can give you more information from pictures. If you do decide to sell it please notify me by private message so I can quarantine the thread until after the sale.

My book, Pritchard's Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 has a David Perret of Neuchatel, actually two of them, father and son. The firm started in 1854. They were fairly prominent. The father's obit is in Journal Suisse d'Hologerie Vol XXXIII No.4 Oct 1908 p 116
I appreciate the information, especially for who the D. Perret might be referring. As far as this watch, I'm in no hurry to sell this unique watch, and if I do offer it for sale, I will let you know. I have dozens of other really nice pocket watches to sell before I consider selling this one and I may end up keeping this particular watch. For the Neuchatel gold marks you mentioned, I did some research and could not find the particular mark that is shown on my watch case. I've attaching pictures of the case markings, what is on the dust cover, as well as the magnificent silver etched dial. I also attached a picture of the original case and key. Knowing the maker of the gold case from the trademark stamps might shed more light on the age of this watch and some about its history. Thanks for any help. 20210122_074846_1.jpg 20210120_184950_2.jpg 20210122_073458_3.jpg 20210122_073117_2c.jpg 20210122_073100_1c.jpg 20210120_184801_dial.jpg

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
The mark is the Neuchatel mark. It is not in most books but I did find it in one of Tardy's books on marks on gold. Several makers add the words "Gold mark for Neuchatel" around the mark on watches they exported to the US. It is an unusual Swiss mark, probably because Neuchatel did not become part of Switzerland until 1857 when Tardy wrote that this mark came into use. This dates the watch to after 1857 which is also consistent with the marking on the inner case.

The dial is not etched but either engraved, guillouched or embossed.

In case you had not noticed, the hands are mismatched.

It is also odd that the case number and the number on the inner cover are different.0, but I have seen it in watches I believe are intact.

Albert58S

Jan 21, 2021
Country
The mark is the Neuchatel mark. It is not in most books but I did find it in one of Tardy's books on marks on gold. Several makers add the words "Gold mark for Neuchatel" around the mark on watches they exported to the US. It is an unusual Swiss mark, probably because Neuchatel did not become part of Switzerland until 1857 when Tardy wrote that this mark came into use. This dates the watch to after 1857 which is also consistent with the marking on the inner case.

The dial is not etched but either engraved, guillouched or embossed.

In case you had not noticed, the hands are mismatched.

It is also odd that the case number and the number on the inner cover are different.0, but I have seen it in watches I believe are intact.
Thanks. I appreciate the information for the gold trademark and how the dial was created. I now see the mismatched minute and hour hands you mentioned. Which hand configuration do you believe would be original? I'll look for some era matching hands and have the watch returned to an original matching state. For the numbers on the front/back case and on the dust cover, they do all have a "7025" stamped on them.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
It is a guess but I think the minute hand is more likely original. The style is common to the period an it is the correct length although it is alightly bent. The hour hand is short.

Last edited:

Albert58S

Jan 21, 2021
Country
Thanks. I'll shop around for a matching hour hand or maybe just replace them both with same period hands.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.