D. Hones cockoo clock help

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by trainman115, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:41 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. trainman115

trainman115 Registered User

Apr 18, 2013
    Hi was wondering if anyone can help me out I have a D.hones model 859 the chain for the bird to come out wont let me wind it up but yet it works coming down alright can anyone tell me what to look for Thanks Ed

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A drop of oil on the chain hub?

3. trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks I will try that

4. trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
    no good with the oil

5. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It sounds like a click problem, can you take a photo and let us see the movement.

6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it will be a click problem but these cuckoos differ in the arrangement sometimes the clicks are internal.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Likely you will need a new chain wheel. They cost about 8 bucks + shipping. The strike side chain wheel is much more difficult to replace than the time side. Replacing the strike side chainwheel requires that the movement be disassembled, or at least partly disassembled. Willie X

8. trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
    Here are some pictures Thanks for any help Ed
    002.JPG 003.JPG 001.JPG

9. trainman115

Apr 18, 2013
    got chain to move up now my problem is about 5 of the music box starts playing and wont shut off you have to move the big hand to the 12 then the bird comes out and every thing stops as it should is there a adjustment on there some where to make everything work together thanks again for any help Ed

10. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When the big hand is on the little hand and the bird comes out, look at why the music box has stopped. This should show you that a wire which is connected to the mechanisms that run the striking sequence, is interfering with the way the fly on the music box functions. This how it should be. In many music boxes there is a connecting lever and spring which is also going to stop the music box from going until the lifting mechanisms that start the strike again will allow the music box to go again. Study it all and see if you can understand how it all works. It really does help to know how things work, if you want to try and fix them when they don't work properly.

11. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In photo 3 you can see and L shaped black lever that has a wire coming off it toward the back of the case. While holding the L lever bend the wire down to just short of catching the fan. Turn the minute hand while watching the movement, as you approch the hour or half hour, you will see the L shaped lever move downward and push the music box lever down (releasing it from the drum) as this happens the wire should catch the fly, continue turning the had till the cuckoo goes off and the music shoud start after the cuckoo has finished. Might take a few goes at bending the wire to get it right.