#'d brass bob on an Ansonia Ogee ,circa 1845-1855?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by time is money, Apr 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    Just purchased an Ansonia Ogee at auction . Had to be completely redone. Has a red bird or looks to be a scarlet tanager on the reverse tablet with gold and prussian blue background.All glass original. The bod that came with it a a plain brass and about 1 1/2" in diameter. I noticed some very ,perfectly , engraved #'s around the outside border on the front edge of the bob. They are;090-20-3540..Looks like a social security # to me! Perhaps someone's idea of owner identification? Have never seen this before..Any ideas--The same # is written in pencil on the back board of the case but I find nit no where's else..

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a valid social security number issued in New York state. It is not easy to tell when this one was issued but the 090-20-xxxx series was issued sometime after the 1930s

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Back in the 1980s the general population was encouraged to put their SSN on all of there valuable possessions . Presumably to have a better chance of getting there property back it were stolen. Many police departments would lend you a carbide scriber for this purpous. Sounds wierd today but it was the thing to do back then.
    Willie X

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I always scrambled mine when I did it - and kept a note of how I scrambled it to show the police. I was never fond of giving it out. Now it seems there is no secrecy anyway.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If you "scrambled" your number you would have never been notified:???:
    Willie X

6. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you report something stolen you give them the number you put on the item for ID - they don't really care what it is. You just need documentation about the number - I still do that with some of my items that I take camping, but not on my clocks

7. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    Kind of assumed it was a social--Seems kind of ridiculous to put it on a Bob as they can be replaced easily.Perhaps on the actual movement or the bottom of the case. Interesting though....In N.Y.S. back in the 80's the N.Y.S. Police had a program known as "Project Identi. Find" They even loaned you an engraver! Funny thing is I mentioned the program to a trooper that was investigating a local break in a couple of years ago and he had never heard of it.. At one time I went crazy engraving all of my hand tools...But I would never put my social ,permanently, on anything...Thanks for the comments and interest!