D A Barston slave clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Lee Edgar, Dec 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lee Edgar

Lee Edgar New Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone
    I have recently acquired a clock from an industrial site being demolished and I’m intrigued by the name D A Barston of Leicester, I have done a small amount of research but have not found any information on this company although I have been told that Barston might of worked at Gent clockmakers and possibly started his or her own business.
    All I know about the clock is that it is a slave clock
    It is approx 26” in diameter and is cast iron weighing approx 30 kilos
    Any information would be most welcome
    Thank you
    Lee D2F00DE7-D988-4DA3-A862-C7BAEE46AF7A.jpeg A7CE5CDF-5855-4FD8-9FCE-32B7A20E7701.jpeg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. tickntock1

tickntock1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Hello Lee,
    I have exactly the same clock. Its a factory clock made by Gents with a pul-syn-etic slave movement needing a pulse every thirty seconds. I bought a "slave master" electric driver from a Brian Mumford off the internet. There are other manufacturers of slave driver movements out there. Once hooked up, it works great and gives a very good sounding "thunk" every 30 seconds when its driven. Not nearly as noisy as it might seem from what I just wrote. The case of mine is painted a mid-tone green. Its my understanding that this paint was used during the second world war because normal black or grey paints were in short supply as being used by the military.
    I bought my clock about 15 years ago at a clock show in Colorado and then drove it back to its home in California where it lives in pride of place on my patio.
    Jim

Lee Edgar likes this.
  3. Lee Edgar

Lee Edgar New Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Jim
    Thanks for the reply
    I didn’t realise I could get it working by buying a slave master that’s great news
    Be great to see a pic of your clock if you don’t mind
    I’ve no idea how much it’s worth I just gave the builder some money for a drink for getting it down for me,
    Thanks again for the reply
    Lee

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is good to know! Which voltage is used for the pulse?

Uhralt

5. tickntock1

NAWCC Member

Feb 27, 2002
    IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG Here are the pics of mine. I've also taken a shot of the slave driver and batteries. It's very easy to position them just inside the back so that they don't show. As I recall, the device has a setting for clocks that take a pulse every 30 seconds (which Gents requires). I don't remember setting it specifically for the amount of volts - it just seemed to work perfectly when I hooked it up. It's worked now for at least 10 years but I do know there's quite a lot of information on the web for Gents pul-syn-etic.
    It was a BEAST to get mounted to the wall! But teen aged sons were able to assist in the lifting!
    Best regards, Jim

IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I can see it correctly, there are 3 batteries, corresponding to 4.5 volts.

Uhralt

7. tickntock1

NAWCC Member

Feb 27, 2002
    There are actually 4 C batteries hooked up to the controller. They're sold by Piexx (look up Piexx.com). The model is IMP-22 at $89 - it runs all sorts of slaves, American and European. The different modes are set by pushing small buttons so that the pulsations match the requirements of the various brands of slaves.
    When I bought my Gents I got it at a good price because (1) it was a slave and (2) it weighs a ton!
    So $100 wasn't ,I thought, such a bad deaL
    Jim