cylinder watch running fast

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by glassblower, Jan 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. glassblower

glassblower Registered User

Sep 7, 2008
    Hi! I have a 1907 pin set cylinder watch that is running fast. I have replaced one of the jewels as it was not running before but it gains an hour in 24 hours. Any help? I have done the adjustment for time but it only slows it down a bit.
    Thanks.
    Lou

Attached Files:

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take a close look at the hairspring first for touching coils, improperly adjusted regulator banking pins. those are the most obvious reasons for a really fast watch beside dirt. Was it demagnetized as well?

3. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Also check that the hairspring jumps between the adjustment pins.

I can not make out from your picture how the hairspring is attached but it is very common in cylinder movements that the hairspring is pinned in place and the stud is not removed from the balance cock. Another common thing is that the hairspring extends a few cm through the collet. This makes it difficult to tell exactly where the hairpin was mounted and any error here will give you a movement out of beat and timing issues.

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi glassblower,

Was the watch fully cleaned when the jewel was replaced? Dirty watches do usually run fast.

Regards,

Graham

5. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This may seem obvious, but if one of the escape wheel teeth is broken off, it will make the movement (whether lever or cylinder) run fast.