• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Cutting broaches - beware!

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
For those of us who use cutting broaches beware!
I use cutting broaches all the time and sometimes have a tendency of pushing one into my finger or hand or dropping one. Whenever one falls off my workbench it always lands point down and sticks upright on the floor. (I have thick carpet tiles on the floor where I stand).
So, beware if you are using your cutting broaches and have no shoes on! They are super sharp and it won’t be the first time I’ve had to pull one out of the top of my foot :chuckling:

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
my biggest problem with cutting broaches is that last one-slight-turn-too-much... at which point the bushing falls through the hole. i always think i'm being careful enough, and am proved wrong.

Reactions: NEW65

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Know what you mean Bruce. They are so sharp and remove the brass so quickly. Many times I’ve had to peen the bushing for a snug fit which does work fine but something I try to avoid if I can.
Other problems I have with cutting broaches is when the plastic handles start to gradually dismember and when they start to bend. To be honest unless you get the really expensive ones, they don’t last long if used often.

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
I have always wondered why cutting broaches need such a sharp point when the work is done with the sides of the tool. I've been tempted several times to grind off the point after stabbing myself.

Reactions: Jonas and NEW65

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm glad I don't bush by hand any more :)

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Never had that problem. All the broaches I've had are those I got years ago - when I got them they didn't have any handles so a bit of hardwood dowel and some copper pipe and they all had handles now.

The points make it easier to see if that broach will go in the hole or if you need a smaller one.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It is only on the finer broaches I have plastic handles, if they start to turn I just take them off, then use 2 wraps of masking tape, works well, anything thicker I would think you would lose the feel and control?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah, I'm still guilty of that. One of these days I'm going to make an attachment for my bushing machine that will allow me to use gauge pins :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-