Cute Tick Talk Westclox Story - 1926

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Brad Maisto, Jan 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    47AE78B8-E7B0-4719-8C3C-E12C02514319.jpeg Found this while unpacking more treasures today, this is the last page in this February 1926 Tick Talk pamphlet by Westclox, copyright, Western Clock Company, 1926. I just hope I am not breaking any rules with this post? Enjoy, Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

johnnypocket and RL like this.
  2. johnnypocket

johnnypocket Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Semi-retired.
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting Brad, I love reading these old employee magazines. These Westclox ones or the Hamilton ones and our own past Bulletins are so great to read. They give good insight to what things were like many decades past. I am glad they are available on our NAWCC site.

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing, Brad!

My mother tells about their alarm clock stopping during the war. My grandmother put it in her coat pocket and boarded the bus to take it to the jeweler downtown. When she got to the jeweler and pulled out the clock, it was running perfectly. She got back on the bus, returned home, and the clock continued running for years. My mom said they always joked that the clock was tired of being cooped in the house and just wanted a trip downtown.

While we consider them disposables, as these stories show, these little clocks were certainly workhorses!

johnnypocket likes this.
  4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very interesting story Brad
    Have you got any more?
    How many of our clocks and watches have had a similar life?

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found it interesting that Westclox talked about a few years of service only. Now we see these clocks still running after over 100 years. Of course one needs to take into account that most of them have been idle for a long time, but still...

Uhralt

6. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No built in obsolescence then
    That or they got it wrong

7. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    42721F3B-C284-4FC4-AD53-FA96806A1D43.jpeg AFA27171-FE20-48D5-AF1F-74314941F9F4.jpeg
    Les, you asked if I had any more interesting stories? Well, I don’t really want to bore anyone, but I just returned from a five-day “mission-type” trip to Panama City, FL. I saw first hand the devastation caused by Hurricane Michael in October 2018! Really eye opening to know how fortunate I am to be living in Southern Indiana and very grateful for what I have. I was one of eight men who left from Owensboro, KY last Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019 and we spent Monday through Thursday working with Habitat for Humanity of Bay County, FL. We basically worked on two habitat homes that were affected by Hurricane Michael, one of which was being totally redone. On the fifth day, we also worked on a third home that suffered pretty severe damage that was located behind this Trinity United Methodist church (see picture) that did not survive this event. This church now has black mold and will need to be totally demolished! I want to give a Big Thanks to Carlisle Baptist church for allowing us to sleep and eat in their one remaining standing building, two other buildings of this church suffered severe damage and were raised! Even the building we stayed in requires a new 370K dollar roof with no insurance coverage.
    As I walked around the historic neighborhood surrounding this Methodist church, I spotted this “horological” related advertising on the side of this work van, see second picture.
    Panama City still needs help. From what I saw, almost every single structure in this city suffered damage!
    Brad Maisto

8. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Brad---thank you for your service to that area.
    Living in Alabama---it is one I used to frequent several times a year..
    I used to enjoy several activities in the bay and -Gulf that the area is known for- when I would visit there..
    I also have friends who lived there or had vacation property there.
    It will take a very long time before that area will return to its pre-hurricane status.
    I know the people of P.C. appreciate your assistance and hard work.