Cut the legs on tall case clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dave421, Jul 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave421

Dave421 Registered User

Aug 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    We bought a tall case clock from about 1830 and have it in our old house from the same era with very low ceilings. I have removed the finial as the ceiling in each room is about 1.5” too low for it.

I really do like the look of the finial though. I have tried to find a shorter brass finial that would look appropriate but have found nothing.

i ended up buying a nice brass finial online which I could cut the spire down to get it close, but i would have to still cut legs down on the clock to make it work. (Maybe 1/2”). There looks like there is plenty of wood there to do it.

Would that be absolutely sacrilegious?

I don’t think the clock will ever be an heirloom as it definitely shows signs of age and has many imperfections, but I do not want to ruin it either.

Enclosed is a photo with the original finial (not in our house).

Thanks
    Dave
    upload_2020-7-7_12-2-9.png

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes! :(

one1laner likes this.
  3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes... but how about some closeups of the feet and how they're attached? if they're a continuous part of the casework, cutting them off would be not good. if they're attached separately, it's possible they might be removable.

what is the ceiling? if it's sheetrock, it would not be that hard to cut out and create a recessed box that could give an additional couple of inches of needed height... with the added benefit of being transparently reversible.

one1laner and PatH like this.
  4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Why not? It's lasted well over 100 years now, so why might it not live on? It looks in quite good condition, although we only have one shortened photo to go on.

JTD

Ozmadman likes this.
  5. Ozmadman

Ozmadman Registered User

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Showings signs of it's age and imperfections is what makes it an heirloom and valuable. If it is 1830 then it is already 190 years old and very worth passing down no matter what condition, although yours does still look pretty good

one1laner and JTD like this.
  6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    It's your clock. If you wish to vandalize it and decrease it's value by cutting the feet down, then by all means go right ahead.

You've got to be kidding.

If it fits without the finial, then leave it off. Least invasive solution??

Also as suggested, might be able to alter the ceiling above the clock in a reversible fashion so it fits.

Bad idea to remove the feet.

Another suggestion is to sell the clock to someone might truly value it and buy something that fits.

RM

one1laner, chimeclockfan and lpbp like this.
  7. Dave421

Dave421 Registered User

Aug 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The ceiling is plaster.

I think what I’m going To do is buy a finial (reproduction) and store the original one. I will try to cut down the spire on the repro. Then if I screw it up, I’m only out $20.

I’ll leave the clock legs original too. Thanks for the advice.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Good decision.

JTD

one1laner likes this.
  9. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would still be good to see more of the clock and the case. Most English longcase are no longer standing on whatever they stood on before.

one1laner likes this.
  10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it would be good to see the whole case. Anyway I'm glad to hear this one is to keep it's legs, it is a very nice swan neck mahogany painted dial longcase with nice hands and should be left well alone unless the base is already ruined.

one1laner likes this.
  11. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another option would be to lower the floor.... Maybe not the cheapest though!

12. Dave421

Dave421 Registered User

Aug 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is the result. I bought a New solid brass finial and cut it down. Removed the lacquer and put it on clock. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

D2A235EC-BAE5-425A-865D-58F0E2F0D744.jpeg

one1laner and gleber like this.
  13. Dave421

Dave421 Registered User

Aug 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is the entire clock

14. Dave421

Dave421 Registered User

Aug 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Photo

E8E68F88-2EEB-454E-9D8B-81597A937004.jpeg

one1laner and Dave T like this.
  15. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what does it look like at the side? Those are really tall feet, more like legs. I have 15 cases here I think and have seen hundreds more, can't recall ever seeing feet that tall but I generally look at earlier clocks. Your case certainly has a Northen/Scottish look to it.

one1laner likes this.
  16. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a picture of it inverted. Looks to me like it's more in perspective. But It's not my clock.
    tall clock.jpg

17. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I've taken the liberty of turning the posted standing up rather than recumbent.

tall case MB.jpg

It looks like the viewer's right hand foot has had some repair/alteration. Otherwise, to accommodate a lousy finial, one would have cut down those feet??

I don't think they're odd, though a bit of a late use of that style. The feet are a Hepplewhite style "French foot" found not just on tall case clocks but other case pieces as well. The height and amount of splay can vary. Here's one example, a George III chest:

hepplewhite chest, english.jpg

The feet here are taller with quite a bit of splay.

Their use was very popular on this side of the Atlantic, too. Used by both "city" and "country" makers during the Federal Period.

Here's an American tall case clock by Levi Hutchins of NH:

levi hutchins hepplewhite.PNG

Many other American examples with French feet...or did have them until they were damaged or someone foolishly cut them down.

Here's a chest made in Portsmouth, NH that would be considered a desirable example by Americana collectors:

Federal-Bowfront-Chest,-Portsmouth_280-12.jpg

Here's an American "country" interpretation:

Bowfront-Chest,-Grain-Painted hepplewhite.jpg

It's a nice clock.

RM.

one1laner likes this.
  18. Dave421

Dave421 Registered User

Aug 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #18 Dave421, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Side view. Glad you guys advised me not to touch them.

upload_2020-7-11_10-34-26.jpeg

one1laner likes this.
  19. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That certainly shows they are supposed to be there. I agree with RM, they are more commonly seen like that on American cased clocks, but as I say I don't look at so many clocks of this period. Earlier clocks did not have such high feet though many have lost what they had.

Dave421 likes this.
  20. Jmeechie

Jmeechie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I’ve seen people actually have the floor stepped down or create a well to accommodate these tall clocks! I service and maintain one where the owner custom built his foyer with a taller ceiling! Luckily my old 1890’s house has 9 foot ceiling and can handle these tall cases
    I wouldn’t chop the feet off as it will destroy the case and doom it with all the other cases with chopped feet! I know it’s yours and you can do as you want. I always think of myself as a curator for my clocks and I’m only caring for them during this short time in their lives!

one1laner likes this.
  21. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The feet are nicely proportioned; they definitely should stay. Sometimes finials were balls without spires. Not common, but they do exist. There are a few pictured in the book "English Domestic Clocks," though I can't say whether they are original.

22. wspohn

wspohn Registered User

Feb 3, 2020
    Male
    Retired Solicitor
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw one guy that had bored holes in his floor (NOT a nice hardwood floor, of course) so the feet would socket down into the floor to fit into the available space.

Sadly, I also know of one person that found himself in lust with a longcase clock in a store, had it measured to determine if it would fit his fairly low ceiling room, and bought it. Sadly, he hadn't checked to see whether the hood came off horizontally or vertically, and it was the latter. I think he had to assemble the clock in the hall and them carefully drag it on a piece of thin carpet into the room. I bet set up would have been a real trial!

23. one1laner

one1laner Registered User

Aug 1, 2020
    Male
    Airline Ops Manager
    Boise, ID
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes! I have seen this done with a few houses being restored. It’s a good solution and doesn’t look bad at all. And.... it’s not necessarily permanent unlike removing case work on the clock.

24. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, glad you decided on cut down finial. well done, and nice clock. Joe