Curator Slate Blacking

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by TJ Cornish, Aug 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TJ Cornish

TJ Cornish Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 12, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I finally remembered to order some Curator Slate Blacking with my most recent Timesavers order, and have resumed work on the clock in my avatar which had a couple etches in the marble. I sorted those out with marble etch remover, but that left the marble gray, hence the Slate Blacking.

This is my first use of the stuff. The directions say to apply a coat without rubbing. I'm struggling to get the hang of this - a coat that seems to flow enough to have good coverage is fairly thick, almost paint-like. I was assuming it would be thinner and something that would soak in more. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I used a micro fiber cloth that was dampened with water then covered the bottle opening with it, tipped the bottle over to get some on the cloth, then applied is smooth strokes. Being thinned, it dried fast and I applied 20 - 30 coats. It took about 5 coats to start to look even.

You can see more discussion and the results in this post. https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?127544-Bailey-and-Company-Clock-Finish-Help-Request

Good luck
    Tom

3. 0132joshua

0132joshua Registered User

Dec 24, 2015
    Country Flag:
    hi, try this, aquire a scrap clock case first to test, worked for me, lightley go over the case with damp, not soaked, wet or dry 1500 grade paper, clean case with meths or spirit, get some good quality instant black shoe shine, with the foam applicator, give a even coverage, let dry, must be dry, then ,very very lightly, buff with finest of wire wool, dont rub, just buff, repeat many many times, this is a slow proccess, the results are, for my clock, a nice subduded shine, with virtully no white haze showing, great improvement, not to shiney, looks original, please test first on a scrap case.

4. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    South Easton, MA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Personally, I hate that slate blacking stuff. I never liked the look of it and gave up on it. My method will be 100% controversial and some will crucify me for it. I clean the black marble case with acetone and paper towels. Before the acetone evaporates, it tells me what my end result will be. If the case is a nice even black, I clear coat the entire case with clear acrylic enamel from a spray can. It darkens the black marble and puts a permanent shine on it. Some might find it too glossy, so you can use a satin clear, too. Sealed with the clear coat, maintenance is minimal (light wipe with a damp rag to get the dust and not need to ever wax or worry about streaking the slate blacking with a reactive cleaner). It's reversible, too. Just wipe the clear coat off with acetone and it's raw marble again.