Cuckoo

Wazza

Jan 3, 2021
Country
My cuckoo only cuckoos once each hour, any ideas how to fix it

IMG_20210915_085305.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes ... Lay it over on a thick towel, on it's right side. Then bump the case firmly, on the right side of the top with your hand.

This can often dislodge a stuck rack, after a long storage.

Whether this cures the problem or not, your clock is trying to tell you something.
Like: 'please spend some money on me and have my movement properly serviced'.

Willie X

Reactions: roughbarked

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can just bounce the case on the towel, on its right side. That can give you a little more 'shock' value. If you think the case can take it.

Just don't forget what the poor little clock is trying to tell you.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If Willie's suggestion doesn't work, remove the hands and then the dial so you can see into the front of the movement. That would show you what is (or is not) happening.

Wazza

Jan 3, 2021
Country
If Willie's suggestion doesn't work, remove the hands and then the dial so you can see into the front of the movement. That would show you what is (or is not) happening.
It strikes one on any hour and none on the half hour. On the half hour the three quarter moon brass piece on the right moves about half around but nothing happens.

IMG_20210916_091301.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That black lever that comes down, behind and to the right of the "three quarter moon", use a small screwdriver to lift that up and see what happens. Normally the rack would drop and the strike/cuckoo would run until the rack is gathered up.

Report back on what happens.

Willie X

Last edited:

Wazza

Jan 3, 2021
Country
That black lever that comes down, behind and to the right of the "three quarter moon", use a small screwdriver to lift that up and see what happens. Normally the rack would drop and the strike/cuckoo would run until the rack is gathered up.

Report back on what happens.

Willie X
When I like that it cuckoos

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There is a part that spins while it strikes. You'll see it from the front. It should have a pin on it that catches the teeth in the rack (the part that looks like a saw blade). I can't tell in your pic whether the pin is there or not. The puzzler though is that the strike should be going continually and not stopping if that was the problem. It looks more like the rack is not falling. That part under the rack should lift high enough for the rack to fall as the hand nears the hour.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The rack hook is not releasing the rack.

If it has a silent lever on the left side, or bottom, make sure it is fully down.

Not much you can do to a cuckoo clock without taking it out of the case.

Probably something worn, or bent, with the mechanism that releases the rack hook. These parts are not visible very well, even with the movement out of the case. The problem may be obvious once you can see the lift cam, and how it works.

Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Could be the rack lever is hitting the front of the case or someone in the past has oiled the rack lever post and it is sticking. The cam setup looks right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimondsSays7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-