Help Cuckoo striking 5 minutes early at the half hour.....

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Good Day All...I got a Cuckoo together for my cousin.. Regula 25 B with a water wheel and music, a beer drinker, and of course the Cuckoo bird and gong...All seem to be synced pretty well except the 1/2 hour strikes are 5 minutes early...The hour strikes are right on the money...Any thoughts why this might be:???:....

Bob

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Hello, Bob. does it go into warn a few minutes before it strikes early or does it just strike with no warn?

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
You might need to remove the dial to see what's happening. Likely the pallet needs repositioned slightly.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Dan, It does go into warning for the 1/2 hour....and Vernon , I do have the dial off. It appears the pin of the strike-stop arm is falling squarely into the nook of the pallet at the time the strikes stop......In which direction would I adjust the pallet?
Could it have something to do with the last tooth on the rack being shorter than the others?

Bob

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Bob, That last tooth should be shorter and everything else sounds good. I think roughbark is on to it.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't think the rack is involved in the issue. It should fall during the warning, and it sounds like it is fine. An early warning is not too important either. I would concentrate on what is causing early final drop out of warning. You might have an issue with the center arbor lift/drop.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
OK...Back to the drawing board...I'm gonna take the movement outta the case and do the manual observation thing...I knew that's where we'd go with this...It's just so frustrating with these cuckoo's sometimes...getting everything to sync up again after re-assembling...When I first started doing this (not long ago) 2 or 3 people told me "don't get involved with cuckoo clocks or anniversary clocks...."...Did I listen:???: Nooooo!!! It's all Good!! ...I can think of far more worse ways to spend my time...
I'll let you Guys know of my findings!! Thanks ALL for chiming In!!

Bob

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It may be as simple as the leaver is slightly bent out or in and is dropping off the lifting tab early.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
400 day clocks are incredibly easy to work on. You have to be careful of the tiny pivots, but they can be very satisfying to repair. Yeah, there's a learning curve when it comes to setting the beat and the over swing, but once you figure that out it's clear sailing. And ..... they're fun to watch :)
Cuckoo's are much worse.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
'Bugsey, I agree 400 day clocks are mesmerizing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollodog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller