• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Cuckoo strikes once when winding

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I’ve seen this multiple times. I’ve seen it on all types of movments, regulas, herrs, and Baduf. I currently have a Herr that will cuckoo once it 2x when you wind the strike side. It sometimes will not do this. Clock works flawlessly otherwise. What causes this? Like I said, I’ve seen it a handful of times already.I personally don’t think it’s. A really big deal, but was wondering.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
The only thing I can imagine is that at the end of the strike run the hammer is lifted to just before the drop and when you pull down it would back up just a bit and when the weight is applied again it drops the hammer.

Reactions: JimmyOz

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Check the count lever is snug in its place at the end of the rack, if it is slightly out when pulling the cuckoo chain it may activate it the one time.

Reactions: POWERSTROKE

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I’ll check it. I’m assuming the tab needs to be bent up toward the top.
It can be a few reasons, the rack is a bit sticky on the post, the stop lever can also be a bit sticky, the cam pin may need a little adjustment, the wire spring that pushes the stop lever is a bit loose or needs more tension. I don't think you should alter anything as the levers worked most of the time it is more a setup issue I think.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
It works perfectly except for winding some of the times. The movement had two bushings on a one day Herr. So no wire springs. Personally I want to leave it, as ot doesn’t affect anything as it runs.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Sure you can leave it as is, however where is the fun in that, no satisfaction you solved the problem. You have the chance to work out what is wrong and that expands your knowledge and of course you could post it here and others will benefit?

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Sure you can leave it as is, however where is the fun in that, no satisfaction you solved the problem. You have the chance to work out what is wrong and that expands your knowledge and of course you could post it here and others will benefit?
I’m sure it’s the rack lever or the pin on the second wheel maybe too advanced. This has not been a particularly fun clock to work on:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
When you are winding any clock spring or weight the trains are trying to go backwards.
Unless the spring is in a barrel, or has maintaining power as many regulators do. Also, thirty-hour long-cases and lantern clocks with a single weight continue to run forwards when winding ... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waveydavey420
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-