cuckoo strike binding

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
I am working on an eight day cuckoo with the rack and snail strike mech. When the cam on the hand shaft starts lifting the release levers it gets in a bind and stops the clock.
It is bound so tight that in order to move the minute hand forward I first have to back it up,then go forward.For the life of me I can not see what is binding up.When turning the hand manually every thing works like it is supposed to.I tried putting some grease on the rubbing parts but no help.The levers both drop cleanly and the train works easily but it will lock up when not watched. Sometimes it will go for a day or two and sometimes it will bind up in a half hour. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Dutch

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
I am working on an eight day cuckoo with the rack and snail strike mech. When the cam on the hand shaft starts lifting the release levers it gets in a bind and stops the clock.
It is bound so tight that in order to move the minute hand forward I first have to back it up,then go forward.For the life of me I can not see what is binding up.When turning the hand manually every thing works like it is supposed to.I tried putting some grease on the rubbing parts but no help.The levers both drop cleanly and the train works easily but it will lock up when not watched. Sometimes it will go for a day or two and sometimes it will bind up in a half hour. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Dutch

M

mrb

has the gathering pallet been moved? this could put the warning wheel in the wrong position and the lifting lever is butting on the warning pin. This can be an intermittent problem

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
Thanks for the reply,yes I have seen this happen before but in this case the pin is locked on the flag where it is supposed to be.It does bother me that I am not smart enough to see what is binding but I have spent hours over two weeks looking at it.It binds up really tight but I have turned it hundreds of times by hand and it works smoothly.

Dutch

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm curious now :0). If you remove the hands, does it still happen? At least it's one thing you can eliminate.

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
Well Shutterbug no I have not tried that but I have the movement out of the case in a holder and can see everything pretty good.It has been running for about 24 hours now but it has in the past and I am not too hopeful. One thing I have learned is these things don't usually correct themselves.Thanks, Dutch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nottmrd
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff