Help Cuckoo Question

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
I have worked on a lot of cuckoo clocks and have never seen the 2 wires in the bottom corners in the picture below and have never seen the cuckoo actuator levers linked together as in the other picture. Does anyone have experience with this and help explain this?

coch1.JPG coch2.jpg

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The levers have to act independently. I have no idea why they’d be together like that.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
They may be together by accident. There should be one dangling from each lifting lever or sometimes just one off of one of them. That (or those) wires move the wire going over to the corners to make two attached birds on the outside of the case bob up and down.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yep, that short link should go downward to the left case animation lever. That right case animation lever is made to rub against something but I'm not sure what? Willie X

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
OK. Well from my experience, wires can be tangled or caught up in the wrong places when the clock arrives at my door.
The short connecting wire that appears to be misplaced by inappropriate connection between both lifters, should most likely be a link to moving birds or other moving features on the front of the clock. There should be the usual wires plus two of these connecting rods/wires which connect to the two wires going out of the front of the clock. The lifting of the cuckoo bellows also links to the moving items on the front of the clock via these connecting wires so that they move in unision.
I'm as perplexed as Willie X is about not sure what. Probably because we cannot see the what.

P4089491.JPG

Last edited:

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
This is plain vanilla cuckoo. Only a cuckoo bird. No other moving items on the front of the case.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
You may be missing the two birds that feed the chicks in the nest or some other animation, you must be able to see where the wires come out of the front of the clock?

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
Jimmyoz was correct. In the picture here the 2 birds on the lower corners are intended to move up and down and appear to feed the chick in the lower middle. I had never seen this before. Thanks for the help.

cc.JPG

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
o_OSo I wasn't on the right track at all? ;)

Now we have the birds sorted, we still have the long tail wire on the right. The only thing it can really do from what I can see is perhaps hold up the hammer that hits the gong for a little longer? So far this one eludes me. There's still something we can't see until you rig it all up correctly and show us how it works that bit.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The front birds move up and down with the cuckoo, but they are not in unison. It's one, then the other. So one might be activated by a lifting lever and the other by a moving bellows. The ones I've seen though were both attached to the levers.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Looking at photo 2 (#1) it is setup wrong to work therefore someone (OP?) has messed around with it not knowing what they were doing. With that in mind maybe the wire on the right has been added to reach across between the lifting levers.
OP, look at #5 photo, that is how they should look and both birds will operate as will the cuckoo's. If the birds will not rise and fall they are only pushed on at the front so adjust them to suit, when you have the rest like the photo #5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ningxis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff