Cuckoo part needed- 7&3/4” pendulum

AwesomeEK

Apr 25, 2021
Country
Region
Anyone know a good reasonable establishment to get a pendulum for a cuckoo from? It’s a regula 34 movement.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
All of the usual suspects sell cuckoo pendulums. See "Clock Suppliers" at the top of this page, 5th category. Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The Regula's have different pendulum lengths for different models. Are you sure the title length is correct?

AwesomeEK

Apr 25, 2021
Country
Region
The Regula's have different pendulum lengths for different models. Are you sure the title length is correct?
I thought that I was. I believe that information was provided by someone at BlackForest. It was actually in CM but converted to imperial.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Check these out. You might want to make a makeshift pendulum to verify length first. Notice that you can get longer sticks and just shorten as needed. That might be the way to go. :)

Reactions: AwesomeEK

AwesomeEK

Apr 25, 2021
Country
Region
Check these out. You might want to make a makeshift pendulum to verify length first. Notice that you can get longer sticks and just shorten as needed. That might be the way to go. :)
THanks, I like the concept, but where do you get the maple leaf to fit over the rod? I dont see any there. I see the hook, slider and rod.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Post a photo of your clock. Someone can recommend a nice replacement pendulum.

On a cuckoo, you actually don't go by the length. The bob has to be the right size to be in proportion to your clock, the right color, and the right style (oak leaf, maple leaf, chalet, etc)

The length can be made to be anything you like by ordering a long stick and cutting it off to what you like, when necessary.

The length designation is probably stamped on your movement. The measurement is approximately, handshaft to center of the bob/leaf.

AwesomeEK

Apr 25, 2021
Country
Region
Post a photo of your clock. Someone can recommend a nice replacement pendulum.

On a cuckoo, you actually don't go by the length. The bob has to be the right size to be in proportion to your clock, the right color, and the right style (oak leaf, maple leaf, chalet, etc)

The length can be made to be anything you like by ordering a long stick and cutting it off to what you like, when necessary.

The length designation is probably stamped on your movement. The measurement is approximately, handshaft to center of the bob/leaf.
Thanks for your reply. Some of the companies that I called regarding replacement movements told me that the length was the way to choose a pendulum. Here is the pic below. Cuckoo.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Repeat, don't go by the length.

Measure the 'width' of the lower three leafs on your clock and shoot for that size, or slightly smaller. The supplied
(7 to 8") length will be adequate with rare exception.

Merritt's ... P-467, P-468, P-469 are
2 1/4", 2 5/8", 3" wide (respectfully).

Timesavers is similar.

Black Forrest actually does sell them by length only! This is weird, you would have to call and get someone to measure the width before you buy. Or, just skip them.

Willie X

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
According to William Bilger's book The Cuckoo Clock Repair Manual, Regula 34 pendulum lengths can be 19.5cm (64), 23.5cm (58), 28.5cm (70), and 40cm (51) and are dependent on the number of teeth on the 2nd wheel (noted parenthetically) to provide the correct BPH for the clock.
As Willie X has said, the size of the leaf would need to be correct, too. Otherwise the weight would be altered and affect the center of mass.

AwesomeEK

Apr 25, 2021
Country
Region
According to William Bilger's book The Cuckoo Clock Repair Manual, Regula 34 pendulum lengths can be 19.5cm (64), 23.5cm (58), 28.5cm (70), and 40cm (51) and are dependent on the number of teeth on the 2nd wheel (noted parenthetically) to provide the correct BPH for the clock.
As Willie X has said, the size of the leaf would need to be correct, too. Otherwise the weight would be altered and affect the center of mass.
Thank you as well. but WHERE do I get a leaf? I can't find just a leaf.

AwesomeEK

Apr 25, 2021
Country
Region
Repeat, don't go by the length.

Measure the 'width' of the lower three leafs on your clock and shoot for that size, or slightly smaller. The supplied
(7 to 8") length will be adequate with rare exception.

Merritt's ... P-467, P-468, P-469 are
2 1/4", 2 5/8", 3" wide (respectfully).

Timesavers is similar.

Black Forrest actually does sell them by length only! This is weird, you would have to call and get someone to measure the width before you buy. Or, just skip them.

Willie X
Thank you as well. but WHERE do I get a leaf? I can't find just a leaf.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Awes,

You are overthinking this, or maybe just getting way 'to much information', a common problem these days ...

All you do is order a 'brown maple leaf pendulum' with the right size (width) leaf. That's it. This is as simple as I can make it.

Over and out,. Willie X

Reactions: JeffG

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
If the supply houses don't have what you're looking for, your next best bet is Ebay- or a benevolent Forum reader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre