Cuckoo needs TLC

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by JTTrey3, Jun 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JTTrey3

JTTrey3 Registered User

May 20, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Interesting find today. I am not sure if it is really worth putting any time or money into from a purely financial standpoint, but it was so painful to see this in such awful shape and I had to pick it up from yard sale. I only paid $15 for it, and it should give me some good experience working on a cuckoo clock, which I have not tried before. Maybe when I get done with this one I will be brave enough to attempt to restore the one that my grandfather gave to my dad many many years ago.

My first task has been to remove all the mold! It has obviously been exposed to moisture for a period of time, based on the mold and rust. My air compressor, with a pinpoint nozzle, did little, but when I added use of a soft bristle brush, that helped alot.
    Now I am wondering what to use to clean it further. I have heard many recommendations for Goop or Gojo (no grit). Have any of you used these with cuckoo clocks?

20190615_161855.jpg 20190615_162004.jpg 20190615_171503.jpg 20190615_173831.jpg 20190615_173848.jpg 20190615_173902.jpg 20190615_173912.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're right about the clocks overall value, but it looks like a fun challenge. I think Gojo would help with the cleaning. After it's all cleaned up, I've found that Rust-olium spray paint in either flat or gloss is a good duplicate of the original color. Be sure to either cover or remove the bird's eye first ;)

3. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're definitely going to get a lesson in glue 101. Too late now but I would never clean mold with compressed air. Wiping down with Murphy's oil soap would probably where I would have started. I've used waterless hand cleaner and also like it. Other than the fall this one took it looks to be quite restorable.

4. JTTrey3

JTTrey3 Registered User

May 20, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. I was afraid of working the mold spores into the wood. The compressed air approach was outside, wearing a mask. I have both Murphy's oil soap and Goop, so I will probably start with Murphy's.

Any advice on removing the residue?

5. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wiping it down should remove most of it. A mild disinfectant may help. Taken from it's humid environment should keep it from growing any further. No bleach. If you're really worried Maybe a lysol disinfecting wipe but rub it first in an inconspicuous place first.

6. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Joseph Bautsch, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    First I would use a 50 percent water and white vinegar solution to kill off the mold and also clean the surface. White vinegar is a mild acid and will eliminate the mold and prevent it from coming back. Murphy's oli soap is a good second cleaner to get the deeper grime off. But get rid of the mold first. I don't recomend Goop. It leaves a residue that is harder to get off. For the broken parts I would drill couple of oposing holes in the parts and insert pieces of pinion wire. Make the holes a bit larger than the wire so that the parts can be aligned when glued. I use gorilla wood glue.

JTTrey3 likes this.