Cuckoo music governor is binding on something

CuckooJeff

May 3, 2007
I'm working on cleaning and repairing a musical cuckoo clock and I seem to be banging my head with the governor. The old governor had worn pivot holes and was binding because the gears had too much play. I got a replacement governor, and installed, everything works fine except that if the butterfly fan is in place, it won't run. If I take the fan out, everything moves very nicely. I tried adjusting the top pivot - looser, tighter, in, out - nothing works. It just sticks and won't allow the movement to play. Any ideas on what to do here? I'm at the end of my ability here.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Cuckoo, welcome to the message board. It is important that the new governor matches the rest of the music movement. Count the teeth on the pinion gear on the old governor, and compare with the new one. If it is new, it shouldn't have needed any adjusting, other than fitting the mounting holes to match the movement.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Jeff
You say the holes were worn; does that mean that you fitted a new fly with larger pivots and broached the holes out?
Would it have been better to bush them? Is there anything else wrong with the fly? The holes do not often wear, IMO. Very little power there.

These things only just about manage to work when everything is OK - driving a worm from a wheel is not the best sort of gearing.

HTH

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Cuckoo - as you've already verified, it is cheaper (time wise) to just buy a new music movement. If you enjoy banging your head though, you've found the perfect way to encourage it :)
If you can't find the correct song, you might be able to change out the harp or the wheel - or even both easier than trying to fix the governer.

CuckooJeff

May 3, 2007
harold said:
Hi, Cuckoo, welcome to the message board. It is important that the new governor matches the rest of the music movement. Count the teeth on the pinion gear on the old governor, and compare with the new one. If it is new, it shouldn't have needed any adjusting, other than fitting the mounting holes to match the movement.

CuckooJeff

May 3, 2007
harold said:
It is important that the new governor matches the rest of the music movement. Count the teeth on the pinion gear on the old governor, and compare with the new one.

CuckooJeff

May 3, 2007
Thanks, Harold, you were right. The new governor was too large for the movement. I finally had some time to play with this clock again, and I gave the movement a better cleaning. I put it all back together and fiddled with the way the governor fits to the music box itself, and it started working again. At any rate, after lots of time messing with this clock, it's working the way I want it to.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Glad to hear you got it working, Jeff. Cuckoo's can drive you cuckoo for sure:thumb:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Well done, Jeff. :clap:

Musical cuckoos are the inventions of Satan, together with WD40. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone