Cuckoo Music Box

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by armyguber, Oct 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. armyguber

armyguber Registered User

Oct 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The music box in my German “Regula” cuckoo (works further marked “E. Schmeckenbecher”) will not consistently play.

I bought the clock at a garage sale. Although it was still in its factory packing I found the works filthy. Once cleaned up and oiled the clock ran, kept good time, and cuckoo-ed on cue. But the music box did not. All the linkages are in place, but the box won’t play unless (at the top of the hour) I lift the weight slightly and then reapply tension, then it plays.

In ‘monkeying’ with the clock, including experimenting with a lighter weight on the music box, I can sometimes get it to work as intended for a few rotations, but then it slips back to not playing unless I lift & release the tension on the chain. I can’t see any obvious fault that is causing the resistance.

Thoughts?

2. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The music box itself may need cleaning/oiling. Often the plastic wheel cracks too, and the regulator needs to be replaced. The replacements always have to be tinkered with to make them work. There aren't many available, and plug and play is rare.

4. armyguber

armyguber Registered User

Oct 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I solved the puzzle.

At the end of the pin drum spindle is the music man cam and the chain pulley. The cam and pulley are held on the spindle with simple c-clip, but there is a crown-shaped spring between the clip and the cam-pulley that push the two against the pin drum. In my case the spring was not pushing the cam/pulley tightly enough thus leaving a bit of wobble. By removing the crown spring, crimping in the arms, and putting it back in place, the crown spring more aggressively pushes the cam-pulley against the drum and solves the problem.

Thanks for the help.