Cuckoo Music Box Question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Randy Johnson, Oct 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Randy Johnson

Randy Johnson Registered User

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Self-Employed Clock Repairman
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings All!
    I've been patiently perturbed with this music box for the past 2 hours. The customer brought it in several pieces after it fell off the wall and he "tried a few things" to no avail. That said, I don't know what he may have 'adjusted' in the process. There was no damage to the movement, just a bellows top to be replaced. I can't seem to find any references to how this overhead mounted music box is supposed to operate. The wire that lifts the bird's tail also pushes back on the vertical wire of the music box to activate it. But once it trips, it plays right on through the cuckoo sequence. If I adjust the vertical wire forward to stop the music, it won't press in enough to start it next time. The music box activates and stops correctly out of the clock, but I can't find a secondary means of preventing it from running through the cuckoo sequence. Thanks!
    -Randy
    IMG_1474.JPG

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I have never seen that set-up before but I would guess that it's very difficult to adjust. I would make sure that nothing is loose on that peculiar flat twice twisted bar that carries motion from the pin barrel side of the MB over to the governor fly stop side.

BTW, the bellow lifting wires usually hook on from back to front, looks like yours has been mau jabe neen reversed. The dog legs in said wires are usually added by a repair person. Most are straight to start with.

Willie X

3. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Bang! I can't see a lot from the angle of the picture and when I click on the article text I get...
    NAWCC Message Board - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action
    :%

5. Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My thoughts exactly, Willie. I've come across such modifications before but I wanted to see what happened before I started correcting all that stuff "just in case" it worked. It didn't.

6. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    15391372765251954428508313708132.jpg Something is really weird here. Usually these are activated by the bird perch/wire. When the bird comes out it activates the music but is held up until the cuckoo finishes and retracts, then the music is allowed to play. I have a similar one. 15391373171303072807830828195759.jpg

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Weird. It's an ordinary Encyclopedia article. I'll look into it. Meanwhile, go to the Encyclopedia and try opening it there. See what happens.

bangster

8. Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris,
    Thanks for the pictures. It looks like this music box may be slightly different in your clock, but I can see how the music being activated by the bird perch/wire would eliminate the issue here. Knowing anything's possible I have to wonder if the well-meaning customer may have mispositioned/bent the wire while attempting to put the clock back to working order. I'll look into that possibility first thing tomorrow and post my findings. Thanks for the insights!
    -Randy

Chris D likes this.
  9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the wire on the right side should come up to interfere with the fan and drop out of the way after the cuckoo sequence is complete.

10. Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shutt, there's a small wire about 1/2" long on the backside of that bar that stops the fan/fly... but only when the vertical wire is pushed inward toward the front of the clock.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    However you have to adjust it to catch the fan, do it ;)

12. Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
    Male
    Gadsden, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris, even though the problem clock's box was positioned and configured slightly different than yours the pictures led me to the solution. As I suspected, my customer said he thought the wire might have gotten bent when the clock fell so he just bent it back "out of the way". The picture is a little hard to see the exact position but it works great now that the wire is in the right spot in front of the bird perch. Hopefully I can smooth out that mangled wire a bit now. :thumb: Thanks for your help!
    -Randy

13. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Strange. It's just an Encyclopedia entry. You might go to the the Encyclopedia, and see if you can read it there.

14. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never mind. Others have made the point. When the bird comes out, the music is released but a wire blocks its fan from running. When the bird comes in, wire moves away, releases fan, music plays.