Cuckoo music box governor parts

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
I searched through old post and did not see a source for any parts. Does anyone know of replacement wheels for these? I have had several that all have the same issue. The plastic wheel is split. With this split the music box will not play and in the clock I am working on the dance platform does not work either. A really quick search last night came up with complete governors running about $60.00 to $80.00 plus shipping. This little wheel cannot cost more than $0.05 to make? I am thinking about making that wheel out of aluminum or plastic just to see if I can do it. There has to be somewhere in the world that has these by the thousands in a box tucked away in a warehouse? IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG IMG_5860.JPG IMG_5861.JPG IMG_5863.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
BFI had them recently. 25 bucks for a pack of 5. You may, or may not, be able to use the arbor/pinions they come with. Willie X

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Sometimes it's a little less hassle to go with a new governor. Timesavers has them for a fare cost.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
If the part fits your application, consider yourself lucky. There is a variation of a sizes that have been used, and the BFI part is just one of the sizes.

Reactions: Willie X

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
For example, I have one in front of me know. The white drive gear is cracked. The BFI one as a replacement - the arbor is too short to work. I took off the white gear to place on the arbor of the original, but the original arbor is too narrow to hold it.

Curse those plastic white gears!

Reactions: Willie X

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
So when I put the order together for BFI I also ordered a complete replacement. It will be interesting to see the parts when they show up. Thanks again Dan!
Agreed, on the white gear, planned obsolescence? I see the replacement is brass?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Mine were plastic ...

Never trust a catalogue photo, it might be 50 years old. Ha

Willie X

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I always try to get a brass gear because I do not trust plastic. However, if a plastic one fits, then I would take it!

I have a cracked white plastic gear in front of me. Cannot fix and replacements are not the right size. So, I looked for a new governor - but one to interface with a 11-tooth pinion. Dang, a 11-tooth does NOT exist. Has anywhere come across a course for a 11-tooth pinion governor? Would a 12-tooth one work:???:?

When I use the word tooth, the proper term may be leaf.

I have a new pinion with white plastic drive gear, but it is a few mm too short. Has anyone ever tried put a bushing in the end to extend the hole to the shortened end of the pinion? Success??

Last edited:

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
I have repaired dozens of these over the last 40 years by removing the gear from the pinion shaft and removing.002” from the diameter of the shaft where the gear fits. Then take the white gear and pinch it shut at the split and with a hot 25watt soldering iron smooth the split on both sides kind of like welding it back together. The .002” you removed from the shaft will relieve the internal stress somewhat and the plastic gear can be replaced on the shaft with some red locktite. Let it set up and reinstall. It works, I’ve done it lots of times. Peter

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
That is interesting Peter, I have the new one coming but I thing I will try that just it see if it will work. The one on the test stand loos like the one tooth might be buggered up. Thanks again, always learning something.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Thanks Peter for that technique. I tried to meld the crack, but it didn't work cause the gap between teeth was too large. As is, you cannot squeeze the separate closer. I didn't think to make the pinion diameter smaller. I guess you could also broach the inner diameter of the plastic gear larger.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
I have done this so many times I have it down to a science. Remove the split wheel from shaft. Insert shaft in ww collet. Remove .002” from diameter, no more, no less. Before replacing split wheel on shaft pinch split together and weld both sides of split w/soldering iron. Place a drop of red locktite on shaft where wheel will go. Let set up and reinstall in gov assy. The problem with broaching the wheel is you have a tapered hole and also no way of measuring the fit. It will work nearly 100% of the time.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Just tried another method for repair with good results! The BFI pack of 5 replacement arbors with the plastic drive wheel are usually too short - although the drive gear is in the correct location lining up with the worm gear. So, I hand-bushed a KWM (L97) into the arm part holding the arbor pivot (closest to the drive gear). The height of the bushing is 2.7mm and I pushed it all the way in from the outside, thus reaching inwards towards the pivot on the arbor. Then maneuvering the arm to get the replacement arbor in there and then moving the arm towards the arbor to hold it in there - with enough freedom of movement. Success! :nutjob:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlegare72
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner