• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Cuckoo movements- attaching suspension post

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
They become loose, even on new movements. With the possibilities of riveting or peening, Loctite, etc., what is the preferred method for some of the repair folks?

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I worked in a cuckoo shop for over 10 years and had this issue often, even had to change posts on new movements when a long post was required and we did not have any. At first I peened them in, however the thin plates and tendency to bend and trying to get it in at 90 degrees on some was frustrating. What I did was use one of those thin cutting wheels and cut a slot in the post about 6mm past the shoulder ground a bit of steel round stock to a wedge and tap it in, a bit of solder to hold it and cut off the excess with the same small cutting disk. Dose not take as long as it sounds, however it make for a nice clean job especially on a new movement.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If I understand correctly, he cut a slot in the base of the post and used a steel rod to force the slot open, securing the post in place. Then solder to hold the steel/brass together, or possibly hold the post in place too.

Reactions: Vernon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidEckman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-