Cuckoo Movement with Music Fly

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Hello. With these older cuckoo movements that have a music train with governor and the music box itself is just a slave driven from the music train of the clock movement, is the design such to stop with a stop pin OR does the arm for the man with an accordion stop the governor (like a modern cuckoo music box?

fly.jpg

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I am thinking that that the perch arm was not designed to stop the fly, but I want to make sure. When I adjust the arm to not interfere, the arm when activated extends more than usual and I am afraid it may jam.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
Doesn’t it have levers with flags that operate on the third and fourth wheels? I think it shuts off with a cam arrangement like the strike side. Peter

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Yes, it has a cam and has pins on the wheels. So, it does operate, , warning, start and stop, without touching the fly. In fact, when the perch arm does hit the fly, I am not sure if it behaves properly. Would you say the perch arm should never touch the fly? If this is so, then I will adjust to find the happy positions of that perch arm (out and in ).

I was thinking that perhaps this type of movement is rare - thus not many commenting on it. However, I have two that I am currently working on.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
I don’t believe anything should interfere with the fan. It shuts off with the between the plates levers and cam, just like the strike side. Peter

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I suspect a stop pin as well. Some double movements like that have strike and music, and some have a 1/4 hour quail feature. On yours, the slave music box may provide the stop.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
The slave music box on this one does not have a stop. It is just a gear to drive the drum to pluck the tines, and that is all.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
To conclude, unlike a typical cuckoo musical box that has a lever that stops the fan rotation, the design of this cuckoo movement with music box drive does NOT stop the fan in any way. A cam and stop pin regulates the cycle.

My biggest worry was that the arm was hitting the fan anyways, BUT that is only when looking at the movement only. Once the accordion man is hooked to his door, that hook length is short and keeps the man (and the arm) from going pulled back too far and thus hitting the fan. So, no problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trikky2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-