Cuckoo Looses track

Globalmike

Nov 30, 2019
Country
I have two Cuckoo clocks, one if the weight for the bird hits the ground it get off synced from the time of day. At the hour it might just chime once and at the half hour it will do whatever chime that is got off at after you wind it.

The second one works fine, when the cuckoo weight hits the floor it does not loose track even when resetting it to the correct hour.

I don't know where to look on the works to see what the difference is so I can confirm maybe the one is missing a part or something. If any one can help show me how to identify with a pic and what should be working I'll be better clock guy and a good student.

IMG_6996.jpeg

LDietzel

May 2, 2021
Country
I have two Cuckoo clocks, one if the weight for the bird hits the ground it get off synced from the time of day. At the hour it might just chime once and at the half hour it will do whatever chime that is got off at after you wind it.

The second one works fine, when the cuckoo weight hits the floor it does not loose track even when resetting it to the correct hour.

I don't know where to look on the works to see what the difference is so I can confirm maybe the one is missing a part or something. If any one can help show me how to identify with a pic and what should be working I'll be better clock guy and a good student.

View attachment 652303
Check the nut on the hands and make sure it is secure. If you are just turning the hand and not the works attached “ the square shaft” it will not be adjusting the cookoo’s time. Good luck.

Globalmike

Nov 30, 2019
Country
Check the nut on the hands and make sure it is secure. If you are just turning the hand and not the works attached “ the square shaft” it will not be adjusting the cookoo’s time. Good luck.
Thanks , the nut is tight and on the square shaft. It’s before the resetting the time . When the bird weight bottoms before the time weight it throws off the cuckoo when you go back to winding the cuckoo weight.
When it goes to the next time to cuckoo it starts at the time it stopped and bottomed out.
It might be 8 but if the weight hit bottom at 4 it will start then even if it’s 8:30 it willl sound 4 times and at 9 fir example it would sound once thinking it’s on the half hour.

thanks

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The pictured clock is a count wheel striker. It is completely normal for it to loose it's sync when the weight runs down. Most will have a lever to press inside the right side door. Each press will advance the strike one count. When corrected, the sync should never falter until it runs down again, or someone turns the minute hand to quickly. The striking has to finish at each count.
Hope this helps, Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
The one in the photo has a count wheel on the back plate, that will start where it left off when the cuckoo weight hits the ground. I suspect the other cuckoo clock you have has a rack and snail on the front plate and will cuckoo whatever the hands are pointing to when you pull it up.

You can ether pull the weight up before it hits the ground or measure the distance from the ground to the time weight when the cuckoo weight hits the ground and take that amount off the time side + a few links more, therefore the time hits the ground first and the cuckoo will still be in sync with the time. You can also just move the clock higher on the wall so the cuckoo weight does not hit the ground and stops when the ring at the end of the chain hits the base of the case.

Nothing wrong with your movement.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can prevent the problem (sort of) by not winding the time side quite as high as the strike side. That will cause the clock to stop first, before the strike winds down if you forget to wind it on time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre