Cuckoo Disassembly

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by gocush, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gocush

gocush Registered User

Jun 24, 2016
    Olympia, Washington
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 gocush, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    [​IMG]First time working on cuckoos. I need info on how to disassemble it. See photo.

The 2 bellows boxes are GLUED (blue arrow) to the sides of the thin plywood case. In order to access the 4 mounting screws (red arrows) and remove the movement, it appears that I must pry apart these 2 wooden glue joints holding the bellows, then remove the bellows. This seems very destructive to me and likely to split the plywood sides. Is there an alternative, or a way to "soften" the glue? From a blob that oozed out just below the bellows, it appears to be carpenters wood glue .
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, the whistles are glued to the case on many newer cuckoos.
    To remove them use a small thin (but dull) knife, start at the bottom and when you get the blade in between the whistle and case a bit, twist it and the whistle will pop right off. Sometimes it will separate cleanly, sometimes a small area of the plywood case will pull out.
    I always clean this glued joint as well as I can, so the whistle can be replaced using the traditional single screw flat head wood screw and small brad/nail.
    Hope this helps, Willie X

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    As above. Yes.

4. James Holloway

James Holloway Board Secretary
    NAWCC Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To remove the bellows a knife as suggested works well. I use a narrow putty blade which is like the knife. Another help is to use a heat gun or torch to heat the blade which will allow it to soften the glue faster and generally pops off without pulling any plywood off the case.

Hope both ideas help you. Jay

5. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just had one of these. The bellows popped out when I braced a kitchen knife against the bottom of the case and levered the sharp edge of the blade between bellows and case. I found it helpful to mark the positions of the whistles so they go back in the same place.

M Kinsler

6. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    a. Pry the whistles off.
    b. Remount them with the screw and the nail.

I've never seen serious damage to a cuckoo clock by prying off glued whistles.

Is what I think.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's possible that your doesn't have the screw and pin that has been mentioned. If not, it's just a small screw that goes through the case into the bellows tube roughly half way between the top and bottom ( a bit lower might be better), and a small pin inserted the same way at the upper end to keep it from moving. Don't use glue when re-installing.